Options

Studying for CCNA/CCNP, Home Lab and Study Material Advice, 2 Year plan

mrsockomrsocko Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I am beginning to properly study for the CCNA and I just am looking for some advice. I plan on obtaining the CCNA by summer 2013 and then moving onto the CCNP and completing that by summer 2014 as the summer of 2014 I turn 30 and I want to be on my way to a new career for my 30th. I plan on studying around about 20+hrs per week and I really just want to know is the goal achievable in 2 years. I don't just want to gain the certificates, I want to be learn the particulars so I can be successful in my new career.

I have read through the Network + Exam cram book so I could ease myself into the basic concepts of the CCNA material. At present I am watching the INE.com CCNA videos on their website as they are free for this month so I could gain a overview of what I am looking to learn. I have CBT Nuggets and Train Siginal Videos to watch and I have also bought Wendell Odom's ICND 1 & 2 book, Todd Lammle's CCNA book and CCNA Exam Cram as my main sources of Information. I am also thinking of adding a Boson Exams to my study material once I have got a handle on the material.

Is there any other good sources of information that I should think of buying?

Also I have a home lab consisting of :

Routers:
1x 2620
1x 2612

Switches:
2x2900XL

I plan on doing the CCNP and I was looking for some one to advise me on what other equipment I should look into buying (I am on a budget but can stretch it out for the CCNP hardware) so I can achieve the practical part of learning the CCNA and CCNP.

Also I read that people use GNS3 for their practical needs but wasn't sure how to go about getting hands on IOS for the switches and routers and I thought that actually using the proper machines would be more beneficial but not sure as I have no real experience in networking.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any help/advice is really appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    kaytauruskaytaurus Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Excellent. Thats more than good for a start.
    Wish you all the best in your pursuit
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mrsocko wrote: »
    Hi, I am beginning to properly study for the CCNA and I just am looking for some advice. I plan on obtaining the CCNA by summer 2013 and then moving onto the CCNP and completing that by summer 2014 as the summer of 2014 I turn 30 and I want to be on my way to a new career for my 30th.
    Is your goal an entry-level networking position? Do you have much in the way of experience?

CCNA will prove you're done an adequate job studying. I'm not sure why you plan to spend a year on it? It can be knocked off at a leisurely pace in 2-3 months. It took me less than two weeks my first time. Beyond that, I'm usually looking for a challenging degree in entry-level candidates. A rare exception was made for a fellow with many associate-level certifications.

As far as a CCNP, that's aimed at intermediate-leve positions. If you lack experience, you wouldn't be eigibe for these. I'd suggest it's better to focus on learning as much as you can at the associate level. That would make you versatile. You're not going to be that guy they call for compex issues anyway. Excelling at the level you're at is a great start.
    I am watching the INE.com CCNA videos on their website as they are free for this month so I could gain a overview of what I am looking to learn.
    Take out your notebook while you watch them, and you could be mosty done by the end of the month. :p
    Is there any other good sources of information that I should think of buying?
    It sounds like you've bought many times over what you need. I went through Odom the first time I took my CCNA and aced it. I went through Lammle the last time I took my CCNA and aced it. They both contain penty of material.
    Also I read that people use GNS3 for their practical needs but wasn't sure how to go about getting hands on IOS
    GNS simulates the hardware, not the IOS. You are actually using the real, full, most recent IOS when you use GNS.
    I thought that actually using the proper machines
    The 2900XL is not "the proper machines". It's extremely obsolete, end-of-life equipment I haven't seen in the wild in about eight years. If you can't afford real equipment, and don't want to use simulators, rent a rack that has appropriate gear.

The main benefit you'll get from using real devices will be learning what an Ethernet straight-through, cross-over, and rolled cables look like... how to connect to a console port... etc. This is somewhat useful for an entry-level candidate. And even your stuff is fine for that. But for configuration I'd use a more modern device if you can swing it.
  • Options
    Hi, NetworkVeteran, thanks for your reply. I don't have any networking experience and my goal is to get an entry level position once I get my CCNA so I can put what I have learned into practice. The reason I have chosen the 1 year per cert time frame was I have read so many conflicting views on how long it takes to study for ICND1 & 2. My goal for doing the CCNP was either doing it while in my first networking job or just to learn and acheive the cert while I am looking for a job so I will still be active in the sector so to speak.

You say the the 2900XL is not a "proper machine" which I understand it is obsolete but from what I read the old routers are good for learning all the protocols and setup etc by getting the hands on experience of actual equipment.

I do have money to spend so if you can give me a list of good equipment that would be great so I can see if its within my budget and take it from there.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mrsocko wrote: »
    My goal for doing the CCNP was either doing it while in my first networking job
    If you score a first job that's hands-on with networking equipment, the CCNP wil be prove helpful in readying you for the next level. However, you may have heard on here it's difficut to get a first job with only a CCNA, no experience, and no degree. In that case the CCNP won't help nearly as much as more associate-level training, in my estimation.

May it work out well however you choose to go. :)
    You say the the 2900XL is not a "proper machine"
    So does Cisco. There are EOL notices for the 2900XL and its even successor. ;)
    I read the old routers are good for learning all the protocols and setup etc by getting the hands on experience of actual equipment.
    Cisco will be testing you on a recent IOS. What you are doing is the equivalent of using a Windows 95 box to prepare for the Windows 7 exam. Sure, there is carry over, but it's not very time efficient and you won't be as competent at configuring/troubleshooting Cisco devices as someone who studies with the proper software.
    I do have money to spend so if you can give me a list of good equipment that would be great so I can see if its within my budget and take it from there.
    For CCNA, I used Netsim. For CCNP I mostly used GNS3 (latest IOS experience), with a one-month $30 rental of a switching lab thrown in. For CCIE there are people who have taken a similar approach. Remember, you can cable up your devices to learn cabling (not an exam topic), without using them to do your actual CCNA/CCNP labs.

If you find real equipment exciting, check out CertificationKits.com, as they have a good breakdown of what to use to build CCNA/CCNP/CCIE topoogies and the pros/cons of various substitutions.
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Take the time you need to study for the certifications. It took me about 4 months to study for the ICND1 exam. But really the only time I have to study is on the weekends because of my job and family life. The most important thing is that you know, understand and can apply the material. Everyone learns at a difference pace and has a different amount of time they can study.

As far as equipment, most people say that real equipment is best to use. But you can use various simulators that are out there. If you've taken Cisco classes you should have packet tracer available. If you want to use real hardware be sure you get stuff that can run the latest IOS. Ebay will be your friend on that. If you take your time you should be able to get better deals than a place like certificationkits.com. Nothing wrong with using them but you'll probably pay a little more for getting it all at one time in a kit. I got 2 2950Gs, 2 2620XMs with a wic-2T each and a Digi CM32 terminal server for less than $300.00 off of ebay. Kind of wishing I had bought a 3rd 2620XM when I bought the other two. But you can still find good deals on ebay. Just make sure you know what you are getting if you buy off of ebay.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    NetworkVeteran:

Thanks for all the info, its a great insight. Regards to jobs etc, I have no expectations and I would be willing to take pretty much any job that is in some sort of direction in Networking and when I acheive the CCNA I will look into any thing that can help me get a job (other certs etc) so I can get any experience that can help me on my way.

Also i'm from the UK so CertificationKits.com isn't any good for equipment but it give me good information into what devices are good for what I need so thanks again.

lantech

Thanks for your reply. I am going to take my time with the studying and when I feel like things are sinking in I will book the ICND 1 so I have a short term goal to work towards and hopefully that will see me through. I'm going to have a good look through Ebay tomorrow so I can add equipment that can run the latest IOS.

Thanks again for the info! :)