Options

Free vid: Basic RIP/routing troubleshooting

Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hey guys, threw this one together at the request of my buddy Leo. It's pretty straightforward. I want to say it's about 30 minutes long, and I go through 3 "tickets" detailing some troubleshooting steps. The troubleshooting steps outside of just routing, but sometimes that's how it goes. Let me know if you guys enjoy. I'm not trying to be a CBT/INE/IPX competitor- just trying to help folks out without making them pay.

Link is below. It's an Mp4 file, about 32mb download.

Basic RIP troubleshooting | SGT CCIE

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hell, Might as well make a comment, and bump it at the same time:

I don't think they cover "off setting" in CCENT/CCNA. :P

What happened that night, there's a story behind it that you couldn't talk!icon_twisted.gif
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Hell, Might as well make a comment, and bump it at the same time:

I don't think they cover "off setting" in CCENT/CCNA. :P

What happened that night, there's a story behind it that you couldn't talk!icon_twisted.gif

Thanks for the comment. You're right, no offset-list in the CCNA/CCENT exams. I wasn't going to include that originally, but my ultimate goal was to help someone become more capable as a technician, with a side benefit being to help prep for an exam (more specifically, a simlet). I think vendors do a great job of covering core topics for CCNA/CCNP/CCIE, but troubleshooting can be hard to grasp without firsthand experience. I was just hoping this little clip would help even a little bit.

I'll also admit I haven't made videos like that before, so I was focused on just getting it finished, and probably didn't focus as much on the material as I should have!

Oh, and the story.....well, let's just say I'm fully recovered now!
  • Options
    Make more troubleshooting videos. I liked it. Post them up on youtube though, I don't think everyone wants to download videos - but then again, not everyone likes youtube. But atleast we wont' have to worry about surprises in downloads. I took a chance on you, given your post/join date, and i've seen you around - good peoples.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Make more troubleshooting videos. I liked it. Post them up on youtube though, I don't think everyone wants to download videos - but then again, not everyone likes youtube. But atleast we wont' have to worry about surprises in downloads. I took a chance on you, given your post/join date, and i've seen you around - good peoples.

I think it might be resolved now, but I did try to upload to youtube first, and had some issues. I'll see if I can post these two I've done and throw them on youtube.

I think the hardest thing is, picking appropriate material, and not going into ridiculous depth (kind of how the offset list made it into that video).

I do appreciate the info though. I'll get better at these!
  • Options
    Real-world issues are what needs to be covered, not so much issues that conveniently lie within the framework of a certification. The experience learned through working these issues, even if the material isn't covered (yet, or otherwise) is still good to have an idea of knowing something else it out there. One of the first things that cropped up in my first real "IT" job is: "Toto, We're not in Kansas anymore."

It's nice to have a framework of knowledge. But the experience taught from mistakes and real-world issues is something all together better, different and possibly more valuable.

I say go into as much depth as you need to, while censoring/changing information. It'll help more people than you (probably) will ever know.

If I could get tickets and spend a week with a person in the networking field - like a few other members on these forums - I would easily give money for the opportunity to learn and see what they see. But that's just me I guess :)

Forsaken, that means you.

• Options
    My daily job is a blast, but these days I spend so much time working on equipment or technologies that are really challenging to teach. One thing I can absolutely say is, before making these videos, I didn't think they'd be hard. WOW! Let me tell you....

My original plan was to cover CCIE-level topics, to aid with my studying. I quickly realized how easy it is to make mistakes, not cover all the right topics, etc etc etc. I decided to scale it back until I got comfortable making videos, then I'll go forward. That being said, my daily job doesn't have me troubleshooting basic issues for the most part. Last week my issue was mutual redistribution at two points in the network with EIGRP/OSPF, GRE tunnels, and a couple of firewalls in for good measure. That is not something I could really make a video on (well.........actually I could.......uh oh..the idea is churning..).

Either way I'm working on it. I love helping others, so I realize I'm no Jeremy Ciora, but as long as I don't make anybody hit their head on the keyboard while/after watching my videos, I've done well!

I've got one almost finished now, just doing some quick editing, and I'll have it posted tomorrow (to YouTube, hopefully).