SecureCRT terminal - so worth it.

RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
I love it so much. Because of the built-in tabs! icon_cheers.gif I'm sure i'm not the only one that struggles with fitting multiple devices on the same screen. Either it's scrunching windows side-by-side, or I take up half computer screen to make sure I can get all of the output (More than 2 screens needed)

Unfortantly its not free! It's so worth the price for being use day after day. And it even works with GNS3... after much headpounding.

Ive tried the collector for teraterm, just didn't do it as well as I had hoped.
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Unfortantly its not free! It's so worth the price for being use day after day. And it even works with GNS3... after much headpounding.

Can you elaborate on how you got it working with GNS3? I set GNS to use SecureCRT but it doesn't open when I click console. If I type the command-string GNS claims it's using at a DOS Window it actually works. I was going to try it out, but I stopped when I ran into this pain. But if you've found a nice workaround, I'd give it another spin.

PS - PuTTY has a wonderful tab system I use almost everyday. :)
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I go into Preference > Terminal Settings tab > Select SecureCRT (64-Bit) > Click Use.

Old Terminal Command:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\VanDyke Software\SecureCRT\SecureCRT.EXE" /script "C:\Program Files\GNS3\securecrt.vbs" /arg %d /T /telnet %h %p

New Terminal Command:
    c:\PROGRA~1\VANDYK~1\SecureCRT\SecureCRT.exe /T /N %d /telnet 127.0.0.1 %p

Paste the new terminal command into the box. Hit "OK".

Pressing the "Console to all devices" will popup multiple boxes of SecureCRT. instead, go to R1, right click on the console for R1 only. Goto R2 and open it's console and repeat. Each device will open it's own tab this way.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Very nice! It's working and my evaluation continues. :)
    What do you think, SecureCRT or Putty? You've had experience with Putty for a long while. what's your take, NetworkVeteran?

Roguetadhg wrote: »
    What do you think, SecureCRT or Putty? You've had experience with Putty for a long while. what's your take, NetworkVeteran?
    Too early to tell. SecureCRT supports the value-add features I commonly use in PuTTY--tabs, SSH certificates, idle timeout-blocking via a variety of keepalives, auto-reconnect, and login macros--but nothing comes across as better yet. We'll see in 19 days if I'm a convert, and if I can find any measurable improvements worth migrating. :)
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I love SecureCRT, but I work with Putty, and the word is the IE lab went to using putty, so for the sake of some uniformity in my life, I'm using just putty now..but I do miss SecureCRT!
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Im using SecureCRT in my homelab. You can actually make secureCRT free if you know how to "do" it. Although, I use putty at work.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I use secureCRT at work and in the lab – but I’ll use Putty in a pinch since it’s readily available (like if I’m remotely connected to another PC). The key mapping and scripting features in SecureCRT are fantastic. For example, I typically map unused function key to send strings like “sh ip int brief”, or a single key press for “CTRL+SHIFT+6+X”. In addition to the native tab support, also like the way you can organize devices into folders and start tabbed connections in groups – So for instance if I’m troubleshooting a connectivity issue, I can start the “CORP” folder and instantly have tabbed connections to our corp firewalls, BGP routers, and gateways. Saves time jumping from device to device when the pressure is on (this works great in the lab too).
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you like SecureCRT but don't want to pay, Xshell is a great free (for home and school) alternative. I especially like the local shell environment. I'm usually SSH or Telnet to random devices and its easier than having to create a new session like with SecureCRT and similar products.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    NOC, you beautiful sob.

networker, I checked out Xshell: http://www.netsarang.com/download/down_xsh.html

It's also a eval. Is there a [legally] free website that you available for home/learning/school use?

When you download the eval and install it asks if its home/school and the full program is free. I've used it for a while now at the house. Work gives free SecureCRT!
  • ram1101ram1101 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    so far mremote has been great
    rdp, ssh, telnet, etc for free
    Glad your work gives you free SecureCRT! For the rest of us low-lives, that's a different story. yay for the free Home/School option :)

Is Xshell supported by GNS3? I don't see it as a preconfigurated terminal

I'm not sure, but all you have to do is telnet to the port of the router and you are in. Don't always have to rely on those fancy guis for everything ;)
    pitviper wrote: »
    In addition to the native tab support... So for instance if I’m troubleshooting a connectivity issue, I can start the “CORP” folder and instantly have tabbed connections to our corp firewalls, BGP routers, and gateways. Saves time jumping from device to device when the pressure is on (this works great in the lab too).

PuTTY supports this as well, minus the word "native". I have my connection groups (various lab racks & related corporate devices) mapped for one-click connectivity. This functionality is prominently featured in the INE videos. :)
  • vartaxevartaxe Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i have been using securecrt at work and xshell at home but now also mobaxterm and it's kinda awesome!
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SuperPuTTY will do tabs also (and is free). The one feature I really like about SecureCRT is the ability to send the same command to every device you have in a tab at once.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]