Options

DHCP Questions on Cisco Equipment?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
So Odom has a question in Chp 13, 2nd edition about DHCP and asked what to expect from Router CLI Vs Switch CLI. One of the answers refers to DHCP.

Although he never comes directly out and says it, it sounds like a Cisco Router can be used as a DHCP Server, correct? Also can do DNS Services too, correct?

Does a Cisco Switch also have the same capability too?

Also reading ahead a few chapters Odom does mention that Access Routers typically fill the role for DHCP Servers, can Core and Distribution Routers also take on these roles?

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    nbeachamnbeacham Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, a Cisco router can act as a DHCP Serve[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]r, also in IOS release 12.3 most cisco routers can act as a DNS server. Switches, however, do not have this functionality due to the lack of layer 3 functionality...unless you are running a layer 3 switch but that is beyond the scope of the CCNA. I believe it's during ICND 2 where you set up a DHCP server on a cisco router, however I can't recall if that's using SDM or not. DNS is not covered in either of them as far as I remember.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Edit: [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]To answer the second part of that, yes, you could use your core routers but it woudln't be advised. Your core should be for fast routing and switching of packets only. using them for DNS and DHCP would put unnecessary load on them, best to keep that at the access layer. [/FONT]