Cisco Press by Odom, 2nd edition - Am I missing something????

YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hey all--

I recently began studying for ICND2 using Odom's 2nd edition, and I rolled through the first few chapters before I realized - The VLAN chapter in his book didn't discuss routing between VLANs! Well, I don't THINK it did anyway...Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was expecting to see some sort of router on a stick portion that included configuring subinterfaces on the router - Is this completely missing, or am I jumping the gun, and this will be presented in later chapters?

Comments

• ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    I don't recall where that is in the book off hand but I'm sure it has to talk about it. It may be in the chapter that talks about ISL and 802.1Q trunking. Or it may be in the chapters that talk about routing (before it talks about OSPF and EIGRP).
  • binargsbinargs Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yes, you are missing alot. especially on access list and nat. some sparse elements on stp. i suggest you did what i did, go to a local barnes and noble and grab a coffee and fast read through the the entire 3rd edition, if you are going for the exam.

and no i did not felt guilty about that. i bought the book from bn back in 2011 and a new freaking edition came out covering extra stuff on the exam, shortly after. i could of return the book but i didnt.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    binargs wrote: »
    yes, you are missing alot. especially on access list and nat. some sparse elements on stp. i suggest you did what i did, go to a local barnes and noble and grab a coffee and fast read through the the entire 3rd edition, if you are going for the exam. and no i did not felt guilty about that. i bought the book from bn back in 2011 and a new freaking edition came out covering extra stuff on the exam, shortly after. i could of return the book but i didnt.
    That's what they did with CCIE Cert Kit Version 3 to 4. They were released pretty close to one another, but that's the nature of networking. It's always changing. Technology is constantly moving forward. I bought the fifth edition of Todd Lammle's CCNA guide, and it had IGRP and ISDN, which aren't covered anymore in CCNA. Can't wait till they throw Fabric Path/Trill, Shortest Path Bridging, Open Flow, more IPv6, etc into it. And you can always read about the topics online or get a subscription to Safari.
  • ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    yes, you are missing alot. especially on access list and nat. some sparse elements on stp. i suggest you did what i did, go to a local barnes and noble and grab a coffee and fast read through the the entire 3rd edition, if you are going for the exam.

and no i did not felt guilty about that. i bought the book from bn back in 2011 and a new freaking edition came out covering extra stuff on the exam, shortly after. i could of return the book but i didnt.

To tag on to what you've said....

I agree wholeheartedly that Odom and Lammle's books are not enough for the exam (Maybe..if you're just into reading a bunch of foreign concepts without easier explanations). I picked up CBT nugget videos as well as Train Signal ones and they helped me get a much better grasp on the technologies. Then I went through the books to really hammer in the specifics.

Also, don't forget all your free youtube resources out there. Check out members Danscourses, ccie12933, and booduh099. All three of these people have great free resources out on youtube for your viewing pleasures. ;)

Also, ccie12933, or Chris Bryant, does the TrainSignal CCNA instructional videos as well as having his own website called The Bryant Advantage. Check it out, he's great!
  • binargsbinargs Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    but the thing is between 2nd edition and 3rd edition they did not change the icnd2 exam at all, even the 3rd edition book preface admitted to that. i just think odom left something out in the 2nd edition and had to go back and put all the stuff that was on the exam and he left out in a new edition.

there is a entirely new chapter on named access list. with no change in the exam, that is pretty rediculous.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    but the thing is between 2nd edition and 3rd edition they did not change the icnd2 exam at all, even the 3rd edition book preface admitted to that. i just think odom left something out in the 2nd edition and had to go back and put all the stuff that was on the exam and he left out in a new edition.

there is a entirely new chapter on named access list. with no change in the exam, that is pretty rediculous.

Well in his defense, it's possible exam objectives/topics could've changed during the time he was writing it.

But I feel you pain, inter VLAN routing, Named ACLs, etc are pretty important. For CCNA, I think the Network Academy books are probably the best study materials.

But I'd say out of all the certification material out there, Cisco Press is the best. I took a CompTIA exam a few weeks ago, and bought an ebook and Ucertify and the were definitely lacking.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't recall where that is in the book off hand but I'm sure it has to talk about it. It may be in the chapter that talks about ISL and 802.1Q trunking. Or it may be in the chapters that talk about routing (before it talks about OSPF and EIGRP).

Chapter 1, VLANs, is the chapter that talks about ISL and 802.1Q trunking. But it never discusses routing between VLANs. The only reason I even remembered to check for it is because the CBT Nuggets videos discussed it in the VLAN section.
  • MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    Chapter 4 in section "ISL and 802.1Q configuration on routers". Pages 178-180, VLAN routing is discussed.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MosGuy wrote: »
    Chapter 4 in section "ISL and 802.1Q configuration on routers". Pages 178-180, VLAN routing is discussed.

Great - Thanks!