Retirement of CCIP Certification

rwestphalrwestphal Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Beginning October 29, 2012, Cisco CCIP certification will be retired and Cisco will no longer issue new certifications. Individuals interested in pursuing a professional-level Cisco Service Provider certification are encouraged to obtain the new Cisco CCNP Service Provider certification. The CCNP Service Provider certification program is a job role-based certification for delivering a scalable, optimized network capable of rapid expansion and introduction of new services and other customer requirements for service providers.

More here: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14595

Comments

• Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Not terribly unexpected. The cert has needed an overhaul for awhile.
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187
    Not bad, not bad... At fist I thought they were replacing it with CCNP SP Operations and I didn't really like that, but I see now that CCNP SP is different story. Actually these SPCORE and SPEDGE exams look pretty neat. I might give them a try.
    Non-native English speaker
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That Sucks. I wanted to pursue this certification later in the year. Guess, I'll have to delve rush to get it before it's retired.

If they had material/certification kits for the SP then I'd probably do it instead, but they don't.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sett wrote: »
    Not bad, not bad... At fist I thought they were replacing it with CCNP SP Operations and I didn't really like that, but I see now that CCNP SP is different story. Actually these SPCORE and SPEDGE exams look pretty neat. I might give them a try.

Where are you seeing these exams? I'm looking at Cisco's site and it shows SPNG1 and SPNG2 exams needed for this certification.

Never mind.... I was looking at CCNA SP....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Trying to figure out what I need to do.
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If they had material/certification kits for the SP then I'd probably do it instead, but they don't.

They've never had certification guides for the BGP or MPLS exams either.
    kalebksp wrote: »
    They've never had certification guides for the BGP or MPLS exams either.
    That's true. And in order to learn the subject matter, you have to invest in books about the topics like IRA or MPLS Fundemantals (or the MPLS VPNs part 1 and 2). The only way to get read is to either invest in BOSON/INE combo (for the practice tests and third-party courseware) or brain **** (which you will learn nothing and look like an idiot on the interview). I wanted to start WGU at the beginning of June. I'm not sure where I'm going to get the time to prepare for three (or four exams if I want to retake Route for memory refreshment). I have a sick daughter, so time is at a premium. I wish it were expiring at the beginning of next year.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    IMO They should just add QoS, MPLS and BGP technologies to CCNP.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thought they had QoS and MPLS in the old CCNP? BGP is in CCNP.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    They were all in the last version of CCNP.

MPLS and BGP was part of the BSCI.

QOS was covered in ONT.

The old CCNP was pretty boss an covered many topics, that lead into the other specializations like wireless, security and voice.

But now it's squarely focused on the routing/switching path, which is fine too.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    thought they had QoS and MPLS in the old CCNP? BGP is in CCNP.
    BGP is only half-covered by the curret CCNP; specifically, the CCNP addresses the large customer multihoming to more than one ISP via eBGP sessions. It doesn't cover iBGP nor concerns for networks acting as a transit AS. There are also depth differences, such as only focusing on a portion of the decision-making criteria.

(The CCIP or CCNP Service Provider, of course is intended to provide the other half of the picture.)

An old-school CCNP like me learned BGP in its entirety. ;)
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187
    If I recall correctly even the old CCNP (the one with the BSCI exam) was just scratching the surface of the BGP. CCIP was the cert which covered BGP in depth.
    Non-native English speaker
    Sett wrote: »
    If I recall correctly even the old CCNP (the one with the BSCI exam) was just scratching the surface of the BGP. CCIP was the cert which covered BGP in depth.

I've passed each of these written exams that hit BGP: BSCI, CCIE, BGP, then ROUTE. I do remember when I hit ROUTE thinking, "Wow, this coverage of BGP is really light. No RRs or confederations." I know I knew them well even before the BGP exam. I thought the BSCI had covered it, but maybe I learned it for the CCIE exam.
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    the new track is more aligned to true service provider technologies (IOS-XR etc.). I was going after the CCIP but I think i'm gonna finish up my studies on MPLS/BGP/QoS since they will be useful for the CCIE track, and hit up the CCDA/DP track in the meantime.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the new track is more aligned to true service provider technologies (IOS-XR etc.). I was going after the CCIP but I think i'm gonna finish up my studies on MPLS/BGP/QoS since they will be useful for the CCIE track, and hit up the CCDA/DP track in the meantime.

By 'finish up', do you mean try to sit the exams before July or just do the study part and skip the exam part?

Trying to figure out a new plan myself as well.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

I disagree. The MPLS/BGP depth needed for SP is much different than Enterprise.
    ColbyG wrote: »

I'm sure. IS-IS in a service provider network is surely different than Enterprise. It also seems one needs experience with IOS-XR.

Seems like an expensive certification and the only way to really get training is through a Cisco course. There is no Cisco Press, INE or Boson option available at the moment, but I'm sure that will change.

And like somnipotent, I will continue down this road since it will provide great info toward CCIE R&S.

Coincidentally, INE has courseware and labs for CCIE Service Provider.

So where does CCIP fits? They shouldnt have killed CCIP. Cisco wasted the money of the people that paid to take those tests.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    CCIP doesn't fit anywhere anymore. Just like the CCSP, CCVP etc.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    So where does CCIP fits? They shouldnt have killed CCIP. Cisco wasted the money of the people that paid to take those tests.
    It doesn't fit anywhere. It's depreciated just like CCVP, CCSP, CCWP, etc. The service provider track is more inline with what is used in a service provider's network.The information isn't useless, as the material covers relevant topics like BGP, MPLS and QOS, which are still relevant in today's networking.It's not a waste of money. How is it different than Microsoft transitioning from 2008 to 2012/Win 8 or getting CCIE ver 2 versus now.During your studies to become CCIE, they could come out of nowhere and announce CCIE R&S Ver 5. At least they still give you time to take the old version before it's retired.

How was the money wasted? People with the cert will have a path to get the NP SP. People who are in the process of getting the cert have a path to get the NP SP. I'm not following you on how any money has been wasted.
    If you have or were working towards the certification, you have three to six months to complete the tests and everyone who has earned or will earn their certification will be good for three years, as expected.

Certifications are not degrees--certifications expire.

I'll likely continue on my way to CCIP, and in three years there should be better training materials for CCNP-SP if I'm not working on my CCIE SP. I've barely started, but three months is plenty of time to nail off two exams.
    How was the money wasted? People with the cert will have a path to get the NP SP. People who are in the process of getting the cert have a path to get the NP SP. I'm not following you on how any money has been wasted.

I think the point he was trying to make is that the folks who had already done it were considered done. Just need to recert and you're good to go.

By removing it entirely, it may present the need for folks with it to go back and acquire the new cert. So I understand that side of it.

OTOH, since most folks had no clue what the CCIP actually was, it's not like the HR weenies are going to be like 'pish posh, your CCIP is out of date, go get a CCNP SP!' The rebrand to CCNP SP will probably make the cert more marketable than it has been.

I doubt I'll even bother with it though. If I want a service provider cert, I'll just do CCIE SP after I finish R&S and that will be that, although more likely than not, I'm going down the Juniper path once I'm done with R&S
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    bermovick wrote: »
    By 'finish up', do you mean try to sit the exams before July or just do the study part and skip the exam part?

Trying to figure out a new plan myself as well.

I'm going to skip the exams and just study for the pure benefit of absorbing the knowledge. I did notice, however, that the BGP/MPLS/QoS topics are now nestled within the Service Provider OPs cert... but honestly, I don't feel like sticking around an ISP NOC environment any longer than I have to so it's not really a track i'm interested in. I requested a voucher for CCNA Security today so I can get that out of the way. It was my intention anyway of going the Security route anyway, especially since there are Security topics within the CCIE R&S blueprint.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
    Certifications are not degrees--certifications.
    This encapsulates everything in a nutshell. If you got your CCIP today, you would've had to recertify in three years regardless.

IT doesn't remain stagnant, so you would've had to reinvest in taking one of the CCNP SP exams eventually. The great thing about Cisco is they promote upward movement, so you either should've pursued another professional track or an IE. Doing that recertifies all of your Cisco certs.

Announcing this now gives whoever was planning to take the test enough time to obtain the cert.
    I think the point he was trying to make is that the folks who had already done it were considered done. Just need to recert and you're good to go.

By removing it entirely, it may present the need for folks with it to go back and acquire the new cert. So I understand that side of it.

Again, there is a path to convert. The relevance of the cert has dwindled, and speaking as someone who has it, I can't say I'm really bothered. If it's easy enough to convert, I'll do it, if not, oh well. I don't see it as being a waste other than the fact that no employers really give a **** about it, lol.
    I understand that CCIP doesnt fit just as CCVP and CCSP. However, CCVP became CCNP-V and CCSP became CCNP-S. Those who had CCSP and CCVP are using CCNP-sec and CCNP-voice in their resumes. Unlike CCIP which didnt really go anywhere.

My point is that cisco wasted the people that pay to take the CCIP test especially if Cisco knew they were going to kill it. They might as well tell us dont get other certs and just read the book. Dont get me wrong, Im bashing cisco not the cert.

I dont really care about ISP as I care about RS and security but its good to learn other technologies just in case Im going to need it.
    I understand that CCIP doesnt fit just as CCVP and CCSP. However, CCVP became CCNP-V and CCSP became CCNP-S. Those who had CCSP and CCVP are using CCNP-sec and CCNP-voice in their resumes. Unlike CCIP which didnt really go anywhere.

My point is that cisco wasted the people that pay to take the CCIP test especially if Cisco knew they were going to kill it. They might as well tell us dont get other certs and just read the book. Dont get me wrong, Im bashing cisco not the cert.

I haven't been in the Cisco game for too long, but I was there when they went from CCNPv5 to 6, and I didn't feel like it was of my time or money. It went from four topics to two and a quarter (TSHOOT is not really "new" topics). There's nothing different in this case.

I don't work with an ISP, so I don't know what the demand was for the cert, but the same can be said for a lot of vendor certs. It's just part of the game. I have CompTIA CASP, Server+, Conergence+ and a few others. All of them are pretty worthless. Don't buy into the "Gotta Catch Them All mentality." CCNA, CCNP, CCNP Voice and the CCIEs are the most sought after/requested certs. CCDP, CCNP Security, CCIP, CCNP Service Provider and Data Center just aren't as marketable.

Take the news with a grain of salt, and if we're a cert you were studying for, you have ample time to pursue it, if not then keep it moving.
    Again, there is a path to convert. The relevance of the cert has dwindled, and speaking as someone who has it, I can't say I'm really bothered. If it's easy enough to convert, I'll do it, if not, oh well. I don't see it as being a waste other than the fact that no employers really give a **** about it, lol.

Well, the conversion path is to pass 2 of the 4 exams, SPCORE and SPEDGE. SPCORE is basically the new version of the QoS exam, and SPEDGE is basically the new version of the MPLS exam.

Like you, I'm not terribly bothered, the CCIP was dated. The CCNP SP is basically the same content (Routing, BGP, QoS, MPLS), but you also need to know how to do it on IOS-XR.

I think that's a good idea, as IOS-XR is becoming a more prevalent platform, especially in the service provider world. We've actually got very few platforms left running straight Router IOS, nearly everything has been replaced with an XR platform or a Juniper box. So it's a good move on Cisco's part to push technology that's actually in use.

The ***** is going to be getting training for it, if you don't already work for an SP, then getting access to the platform to practice on is going to be difficult. Doesn't make the cert impossible, just means a whole lot of memorization as opposed to hands on.

I dont really care about ISP as I care about RS and security but its good to learn other technologies just in case Im going to need it.

Well it also depends on the persons motivation for going after CCIP.

I did CCIP for one reason and one reason only - all of the technology contained within are tested for in the CCIE R&S lab. I just looked at studying for the cert as lab prep. I suspect I'm not alone. The cert was essentially just resume filler to make me look better.

With the new CCNP SP, if I was looking to pursue CCIE SP, I'd do the same thing, go for CCNP SP prior to the CCIE. If I had no plans to pursue CCIE R&S, I might be a little more pissed off about this, but the honest truth of the matter is that once I pass the R&S lab, all my other Cisco certs are essentially irrelevant, the only thing anyone is going to pay any attention to is the CCIE number on my resume.