Options

WIC csu/dsu vs WIC 1T serial card

steve2012steve2012 Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
No sure if I can do this:

I have two 2611xm routers enroute for lab setup. Instead of using the WIC-1T cards, can I use the T1-CSU/DSU on both units instead, and expect the same result? Saving I setup the DCE clock rate and all.

Should work....yes?

Thanks,

Steve

Comments

• Options
    ciscoman2012ciscoman2012 Member Posts: 313
    steve2012 wrote: »
    No sure if I can do this:

I have two 2611xm routers enroute for lab setup. Instead of using the WIC-1T cards, can I use the T1-CSU/DSU on both units instead, and expect the same result? Saving I setup the DCE clock rate and all.

Should work....yes?

Thanks,

Steve

I believe in theory it should work as long as you've set up the clock rate correct. I believe you do this command on one of the routers to set the clock rate. As far as I know..it doesn't matter which one you choose.

service-module T1 clock source internal
  • Options
    steve2012steve2012 Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been reading alot on this and from what I gather, it can be done. I will have 3 2611xm routers all with 2 serial csu/dsu cards.

My thinking, and I could be way off on this, is that I should be able to complete all the necessary labs for CCNA without having to get the WIC-1T and WIC-2T serial cards with the DCE/DTE back to back cables, as long as I create the proper cross overs for the CSU/DSU's, the principal is still the same in that I am connecting a layer 1 link over the WAN and just using the csu/dsu as apposed to the DTE/DCE.

If someone has solid knowledge or experience attempting this, I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,

Steve