First Post CCNA ICND1

kaldroubykaldrouby Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,
I am 48 hours from taking the ICND1 test. i will stop reading 24 hours before the test.
any advice as a test taker specially that's my first attempt on a Cisco type test. am used to compTIA and Microsoft.

i actually took the course from a local site and used Transcender along with Kelements labs.

am passing with a 85% most of the time sometimes 90 and higher. i got the subnetting part pretty good thanks to the subnet technotes on TechExam.

Comments

• yoga_Flameyoga_Flame Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just took ICND 1 on Saturday, passed w/ 899. I studied using CBT nuggests , train signal and ICND 1 Book from cisco press. If i were you, i'd go on the cisco learning website and go take the 6 Review modules , they helped me alot , especilly with the test. Know your OSI layers really good, port numbers, show commands, and router security.
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    kaldrouby wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    I am 48 hours from taking the ICND1 test. i will stop reading 24 hours before the test.
    any advice as a test taker specially that's my first attempt on a Cisco type test. am used to compTIA and Microsoft.

i actually took the course from a local site and used Transcender along with Kelements labs.

am passing with a 85% most of the time sometimes 90 and higher. i got the subnetting part pretty good thanks to the subnet technotes on TechExam.

I am sure you know this, but I have to throw it out there.

Compared to the CompTIA exams, the ICND1 is much more difficult. You need to be ready for a few simulator questions. But most of all, remember, YOU CAN NOT GO BACK on Cisco exams. Once you click "next", that question is gone forever. I mention this, because someone on these forums just failed an exam because they skipped alot of questions thinking they would go back at the end and then found that they couldn't.

I don't want to see that happen to someone again.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    they mention that in the exam, you can't go back and answer back questions. Their fault for not reading the black and white text on the computer screen :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• kaldroubykaldrouby Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yoga_Flame wrote: »
    I just took ICND 1 on Saturday, passed w/ 899. I studied using CBT nuggests , train signal and ICND 1 Book from cisco press. If i were you, i'd go on the cisco learning website and go take the 6 Review modules , they helped me alot , especilly with the test. Know your OSI layers really good, port numbers, show commands, and router security.
    Thanks i will do that tonight. and man 899 that's pretty good i hope i do as good as you did. i will post the result once i complete the test.
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    I am sure you know this, but I have to throw it out there.

Compared to the CompTIA exams, the ICND1 is much more difficult. You need to be ready for a few simulator questions. But most of all, remember, YOU CAN NOT GO BACK on Cisco exams. Once you click "next", that question is gone forever. I mention this, because someone on these forums just failed an exam because they skipped alot of questions thinking they would go back at the end and then found that they couldn't.

I don't want to see that happen to someone again.

Yes i am sweating a lil on the simulation part. am not sure if packet tracer is good enough along with the kelements labs that they disconnected on Monday last week... am going to try and cram some simulation practices tonight also ..
    the only thing that makes me feel a little good bout my self is sub-netting. i can do all type of sub-netting in my head without writing.
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    they mention that in the exam, you can't go back and answer back questions. Their fault for not reading the black and white text on the computer screen :P
    I sure will remember to read the text. thanks
  • yoga_Flameyoga_Flame Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online

Go on this site and see if you can subnet these questions in under 1 minute or less. If you don't you will have major issues with the ICND 1. It took me about a week of practicing until I could subnet in about 5 to 10 secs. Also make sure you start writing down notes , if you have a subnet table or other notes. I personally did the 128 192 224 240...and the /CIDR notation along with them as well. I honestly only used it once in the exam but it helped alot. watch this video and see if it helps, this is the table i was referring to for subnetting. Creating Your Own Mental Subnet Calculator. Anyways I finished the exam with 10 mins left on the clock, I guess I could have taken my time on a few questions but theres no telling , some questions only take a second and others a few mins, pace yourself well and knock out the easy questions. Also know troubleshooting , interfaces like serial up, down , admin down , and show CDP commands. Good luck man!! If your'e prepared this test should be easy. If not you have 24 hrs to reschedule.
  • lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Packet Tracer is more than good enough for the exam. In school we used it for the more complex labs that we had.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Welcome! Just make sure you're doing plenty of labs. If you can pass the Transcender exams you can pass the CCENT. IMO, the Transcender exam was dead on with the level of difficulty of the real exam. Good luckicon_thumright.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

Yoga !! when you posted this website and you mentioned that i need to subnet under 1 minute .. first thing i said " what's that guy talking about??" but after i watched video's read the odoom book and kept on practicing now i can subnet 99% of the question on that website within 10 to 40 seconds ,.,,, i cant tell how happy i am since sub-netting was my biggest problem !!
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I also visited that website. I can subnet class C networks in under 5 seconds but still can't figure out classes A and B... Oh well, haven't read about subnetting for almost a year...
  • MJMcMahonMJMcMahon Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in a similar situation: my ICND1 exam is scheduled for tomorrow. I think I'm pretty well prepared but had my confidence shaken a bit after I grabbed Cisco's practice tests last night. There were a few things in the practice exams that threw me, but I think I've figured out that there are some errors in the practice exams:

1.) I found more than a few questions that covered items NOT in the ICND1 course objectives. For example, I found more than one question on advanced protocols (like EIGRP, OSPF), questions on ACLs, etc.

2.) I found a few questions that were scored incorrectly...definitely not what I expected from Cisco!

3.) One question that was definitely out and out WRONG: indicating that a RIP route would be given priority over a statically assigned one or a directly connected network. What surprised me equally was that the simulation showed that the router was using RIP v2, yet the answer implied that my answer was incorrect because RIP v1 was classful and that RIP v2 would work well as a solution.

Extremely odd experience and it was extremely disconcerting when you're trying to BUILD confidence by taking a practice exam and then to fail the test!

Wish me luck all, I'm off to try TechExams' practice test!

Mike