Marcraft ?

gwjamesgwjames Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Getting ready to take my A+ OS test. I have been using the Marcraft Examgear2 premium exam preparation software CD 2003 that came with the book. Is this a pretty good study guide and test CD. I would just like some opinions please.

Comments

• gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    I'm not sure. I never heard of it before.
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    From Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0789730448/ref=cm_aya_asin.title/102-7719484-8328932?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155
    Editorial Reviews

Book Description

A+ Training Guide, Fifth Edition is the ultimate self-study reference, written by Charles J. Brooks of CompTIA's A+ Advisory Council. The chapters map exactly to the exam objectives, helping you quickly and easily assess your mastery of the exam material. It also includes the popular Fast Facts, which highlight the essential information covered on the exam and is designed for last-second review before sitting for the exams. The book undergoes a stringent review process that includes scrutiny by nearly a dozen industry experts who ensure it is the most complete, up-to-date, technically accurate, and well-organized material on the market.

The CD includes PrepLogic Practice Tests, lab procedures, and an electronic copy of the book. www.examcram2.com features community support, which includes dynamic book content updates, free practice questions, industry news, study tips, and discussion forums.

About the Author

Charles J. Brooks, author of five editions of the A+ Training Guide, is currently the president of Marcraft International Corporation, located in Kennewick, Washington, and is in charge of research and development. He is the author of several books, including Speech Synthesis, Pneumatic Instrumentation, The Complete Introductory Computer Course, Radio-Controlled Car Project Manual, and IBM PC Peripheral Troubleshooting and Repair. A former electronics instructor and technical writer with the National Education Corporation, Charles has taught and written on post-secondary EET curriculum, including introductory electronics, transistor theory, linear integrated circuits, basic digital theory, industrial electronics, microprocessors, and computer peripherals.

I do not know anything about these books either. Our stores never carry them.

I do know Meyer's books are very good.

If I could see a copy I'd comment. Otherwise, I can only recommend something I've read through or used for my own prep.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    my school used this exact book and software it's good

but if it's all you use you will fail, so many of the people i took that class with didn't want to look outside of that class/book so they thought that was all they needed and got mad when they weren't fully prepared

use it but also try to get some other material
    get back to studying!!!
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    jkstech wrote:
    my school used this exact book and software it's good

but if it's all you use you will fail, so many of the people i took that class with didn't want to look outside of that class/book so they thought that was all they needed and got mad when they weren't fully prepared

use it but also try to get some other material

(IMO)I dare say that is true with any book though. Most of the certification exams are targeting candidate WITH experience. So, one book isn't likely going to prepare someone for more than how to answer questions.

It's nice to have a class offered to introduce students to varioius aspects of IT, but it is solely an introduction - albeit a good intro.

FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    true

i've always used multiple sources for preparation
    now i believe comTIA has books they are publishing, i'd probably take a look at those, i'm sure they will give a thourough coverage of the exam objectives

i will most likely check out one for server+, i already have alot of material for security+
    get back to studying!!!
  • gwjamesgwjames Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone for the replies, I am going to be taking the A+ hardware on tuesday. I have been scoring in the 80+ percentile range on most of the prectice tests I have used which includes the Marcraft test CD. I hope this is good enough to get a passing grade on the actual test.
  • EvilSkyEvilSky Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I dont know those books either, but I would recommend you to use the technotes on this sites, along with the tests for the Hardware part, it really helped me alot.
    And for the OS part I would suggest you to study along with the comptia objectives, because the OS part is focused very well, not like the HW part, and also get practice using the OS themselves, and good luck on the exams icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif