2950 - automdix?

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Anyone have 2950 switches? I tried to find this setting but doesn't look to be there. I wanted to trunk them with a straight through cable and use auto mdx I think it's called. Is this feature dependant on the IOS or is it actual hardware specific?

Comments

• CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have 2950s and I can tell you, they don't support auto-mdix. You must use a crossover cable on the trunk. I think it's a hardware limitation though (And I may be wrong).
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201

The above is correct.
  • controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
    Thanks a lot both. X over cables it is.
  • nbeachamnbeacham Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm of the opinion that you should be using the required cables anyway. Auto MDIX is a nice feature, but I don't want software to dictate what wires should transmit and what should receive. I think it could open up doors for failure, and from what I have read it can screw up auto negotiation at times. Anywho, the supported auto mdix switches are the 2940, 2970, and 3750 series switches.
  • controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
    nbeacham wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion that you should be using the required cables anyway. Auto MDIX is a nice feature, but I don't want software to dictate what wires should transmit and what should receive. I think it could open up doors for failure, and from what I have read it can screw up auto negotiation at times. Anywho, the supported auto mdix switches are the 2940, 2970, and 3750 series switches.

I agree with you on using the correct cables. It's just that I didn't have any xovers to hand and I wanted to do a few labs. Have got some on order. I did buy a roll of cable to make my own, but the quality was absolute crap to put it politely. I really struggled to terminate them. My own fault for going down the cheapo route.