Options

Career Path

djqbertdjqbert Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys ! After taking A+ exam I was planning of takin Net+, Sec+ then other Ec Council Security Certificates but what i saw confused me. What are the other certification written above the boxes in this ling ? https://cert.eccouncil.org/certification/career-path and all other certificates appears when you click on security button ? CompTIA Career Pathways Do i really need to take MTA exams for MCTS ? Thanks !

Comments

• Options
    TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have the knowledge and/or certs from the CompTIA trio (a+,n+,s+) there is no purpose of taking the MTA exams, as they are basically Microsoft specific versions of those three CompTIA exams.
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • Options
    And what about for the rest ?
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    get your moneys worth. go for microsoft cert like MCITP EA or SA or even cisco if it interests you. they hold more value and will help you get the job

go for the n+, sec+ if you want Comptia certs IMO a+ is a waste of money
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    matt333 wrote: »
    get your moneys worth. go for microsoft cert like MCITP EA or SA or even cisco if it interests you. they hold more value and will help you get the job

go for the n+, sec+ if you want Comptia certs IMO a+ is a waste of money

I have to disagree. Unless you are going DoD than the Net+ and the Sec+ are actually a waste of money. The A+ is great for getting an entry level jobs. I got more calls because of the A+ than I have the others. As a side note, I don't think EC-Council has a great reputation. Look else where if you are interested in security certifications.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IMO I would wait a while after getting your A+ and figure out what interest you. If you like networking maybe Network + or security Security +, I wouldn't just start doing a bunch of certifications. For instance if you get done with A+ and have a desire to learn Microsoft Windows 7, then do a Windows 7 certification or if you like server take a Windows or Linux server certification. Certifications take a lot of time and money, don't waste your time, make sure if you are going to sit the exam and study your tail off it's something you are interested in.

From what you wrote it sounds like you are interested in security. I would consider Security + next and then maybe move to another security certification while applying for that type of position.
  • Options
    Yes. What do you recommend after Sec+ ? I was planning to get Ec Council certs. Are they good enough ?