Passed ICND2 yesterday!! Now what way to go?

KeanoknickKeanoknick Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed the ICND2 exam yesterday! So I'm officially a CCNA now.

I need some help now, deciding what way to go now. I want to get my CCNA Voice, and my CCNP. I can't decide which one to go after first.

Which one would be more likely to help me land a good job. I currently work in IT, and have for 4 years, but I'd really like to get into a role that I can utilize the Cisco knowledge that I have gained, and will be working on.

Please feel free to post your thoughts and suggestions.

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've always been told that a CCNP without a networking background it useless. If that is true than I would just work on your CCNA:Voice while trying to nab a Cisco networking role. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • binargsbinargs Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    first of all, congras are in order. go get a drink.

as for me, i went with ccna:voice, and i started only about 2 weeks ago. the following factors influenced me.

1. ccna:security is going through a overhaul. the new books won't be out until july and the old exam is not so important in todays world.

2. ccnp is what i wanted but there is no instructor lead class around me that starts soon. i am not that smart of a bean and i barely made it through on my own with ccna. i think i need peers for ccnp.

3. ccna:voice is more in demand in my area. i have been on my own doing consultant work for the past 4 years. it makes a living but for the most part, you don't get to play in fancy infrastructure with cisco gears. i strive for more advanced stuff the only way you even get to deal with even ccna level stuff is in a corporate, at least a medium hospital. getting ccna:voice will enhance the chance of me landing myself in that environment.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    CCNA-voice since its in demand.
  • cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 250 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. I think CCNA voice might be more easier to attain without school because of GNS3. I also believe CCNP is three exams which is a lot. You can get on an Voice project and make some really nice money with just an CCNA Voice. Then, with the CCNP you will have those q&a's in the interview with maybe an interview test exam. I hear it and I've seen it in this forum about companies who want CCNP level people not just tech's who passed the three exams. The pay don't seem much different but, CCNP Voice professional's will need to have an active CCNA voice to get CCNP Voice.

Check out the links below:
    2011 IT Skills and Salary Report

CCNP Voice (Formerly known as CCVP) - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems
  • KeanoknickKeanoknick Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was already kind of leaning towards CCNA Voice, and given the above responses, I think that's what I'm going to do. Thanks for the responses.
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Congrats man!! icon_cheers.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• alliasneoalliasneo Member Posts: 186
    I passed last week and I've been thinking what am I going to do next. Ultimately I want to go in to the security side (I Think) but it seems the CCNP is a really good qualification to have under your belt. I'm looking for a junior networking role at the moment but I think you need the CCNP as you need these advanced skills in a production network.

I'm working my way up through the OSI model so I'm starting on Switch, then Route and then Troubleshoot.

Chris Bryant has the CCNP Switch videos for $97.
  • ciscon00bciscon00b Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man:D
  • hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    voice google femtocells they are getting very popular and use similar tech as voip
  • maddemmaddem Member Posts: 117 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and best of luck with future studies!!
  • andy4techandy4tech Member Posts: 138
    Congrats on passing your ccna,go for ccna voice.
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations on the CCNA.
    Try the CCNA Voice. It can certainly help you get your foot in the door of a telecommunications company.

Good Luck!
  • jkongbonmejkongbonme Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulation! I think it's up to your best interests where you want to pursue for a long run career, however; I'm pursuing in security sector.
  • alliasneoalliasneo Member Posts: 186
    I also would like to pursue the security route and I'm been looking in to maybe the Ethical Hacking course but I want to get my NP first and get a few years experience in the work place then I might branch out a bit more specific.
  • nelsonnrnelsonnr Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Keonoknick,

Did you get the CCNA Voice Cert Guide - do you see these errors on the first few pages?

Went to buy the CCNA Voice Cert Guide - browse first few pages! : networking
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't have that error in my book. It's fairly new though.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• KeanoknickKeanoknick Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nelsonnr wrote: »
    Keonoknick,

Did you get the CCNA Voice Cert Guide - do you see these errors on the first few pages?

Went to buy the CCNA Voice Cert Guide - browse first few pages! : networking

I just checked my book, and it does not have those errors. I ordered it from Amazon, and just got it two days ago. I don't expect anything to be perfect, but so far I have not found any major errors in the book, a couply of minor gramatical/spelling errors is all, nothing pertinent.

Thanks for the heads up though.