Options

Subnetting on the ICND1 Exam

Jason RJason R Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does cisco expect the test taker of the ICND1 exam to be able to subnet class A and B networks by hand? Would of course be nice if was was just class C subnet questions. I just want to know if I should work on my subnet speed for A and B networks. For example:

you have an ip address of 10.10.13.5 with a subnet address of 255.255.255.252. How many subnets and hosts are available?
The answer is easy to get, but the calculation of the subnets takes a couple minutes.

My study material is Cisco Press ICND1 book, and the Boson ICND1 kit. anything else helpful? Thanks. =)

Comments

• Options
    iwannaknowITiwannaknowIT Member Posts: 111
    Jason R wrote: »
    Does cisco expect the test taker of the ICND1 exam to be able to subnet class A and B networks by hand? Would of course be nice if was was just class C subnet questions. I just want to know if I should work on my subnet speed for A and B networks.

My study material is Cisco Press ICND1 book, and the Boson ICND1 kit. anything else helpful? Thanks. =)

The subnetting knowledge is needed not so much per say you doing it by hand,but you have enough subnetting knowlege to look at a CLI output and determine if the parameters are correct......which I guess means you doing it by hand(oops)

Google up subnetting practice....there are tons of practice activities to help bring your "black hole"subnetting fears to light......
  • Options
    matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you will tested on all three class ranges. Subnetting all three is the same process so as long as you understand how and why you are doing it you should be able to pass without a problem.
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You need know subnetting well enough to be able to figure out a question with limited thought. You want to KNOW subnetting when you take the exam.