Options

Network + 2009 or 2011

ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
I was thinking of getting my Network plus, even though it is not necessary in my current degree program at WGU. It has kind of been on the back burner, but I was thinking about doing it here in the next few months.

I noticed there is a new exam for N+, but the 2009 exam is still valid until Aug 31st. All of the study material I have obtained is for the 2009 exam.

Would it make that much of a difference if I got the 2009 exam, or would potential employers look down on that since a new exam is available? Since N+ will have to be renewed in three years anyway, does it make a difference which test I take?

I am thinking of just taking the 2009 test since that is what I have materials for, and it would save the additional expense of buying new study materials.

What do yall think? Thanks in advance!
WGU B.S.IT - Security
Currently Enrolled:
LET1, INC1, INT1
Courses Completed:
EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
Courses Transferred:
BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1

Comments

• Options
    itsgonnahappenitsgonnahappen Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've never heard of an employer or ever seen a job posting that required a net+ 005 over an 004. If you have the study materials for 004 than you should take the 004 exam.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The version you take doesn't show up on your resume, and I promise you, no one, ever, anywhere cares enough to ask. Net+ doesn't change that much between versions anyway. I took Net+ after studying for not the previous generation, but the one before that, I believe. They change bits and pieces, but ultimately the OSI and commonly used protocols don't change and they're what gets you the passing grade.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My understanding is that the 005 version just is a little more focused on networking with regards to virtualization. Network+ isn't overly difficult it tests you on a broad understanding of networking. It's a mile wide & an inch deep. If you have the books for the 004 version, I'd do it. I'd bet few HR people even know there are versions.
  • Options
    scovymanscovyman Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recently passed the 005 exam new things is IPV6 and some virtualization, nothing difficult. Does help if your learning what is new out there
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    Go with whatever voucher is cheap, and frankly the version matters not, all that matters is the simple fact that you got it. 004 is prolly a tad easier since theres less material.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)