whats does it mean when someone looks after a data center

healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
whats does it mean when someone looks after a data center

or maintain it?

what exactly do they mean by that?

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It can mean a lot of things. Facilities management is a large part of looking after a data center. Making sure the tempeture is correct and that the back up generators are tested periodically and that the power coming in from the grid is functioning properly. I know a lot of data centers are set up on different grids so if power is lost on one it still has the power from the other one.

You have the security aspect of logging all changes and physical visitors.

I think this role would be different than a NOC who monitors the behavior of the WAN/LAN and servers.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It really depends .. the monkeys who looked after our datacenter didn't do anything of the above but put cable into the racks, put down temperature probes and racked up server (not connecting) and maintained spares .. Received deliveries etc. ...I think it depends on the datacenter really ... When it comes to backup generators etc., it might as well be maintained by 3rd parties so onsite staff might not actually be involved in that ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • greenerekgreenerek Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    It really depends .. the monkeys
    blee...not nice to call person monkey ;/ even if he or she do a little, every one starts from the scratch...
    Per aspera ad astra-Seneka

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do you have context for what you mean? Like N2IT said it a lot about facilities management. The individuals in that role may be licensed electricians, hvac staff, and mechanical engineers. For LEED certified facilties, I think there eeds to be a LEED certified engineer as well.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Two jobs ago we did have monkeys as operators in our data center. Other than switching tapes, running reports and reporting amber/red lights they never learned anything else in 5 years.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Two jobs ago we did have monkeys as operators in our data center. Other than switching tapes, running reports and reporting amber/red lights they never learned anything else in 5 years.

Some people are content with doing just that, I guess! I know a few such people personally too, not the kind you'd want to have a beer with.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Over here taking care of a data center means racking and stacking servers, administering virtualized environments, SANs and FCoE.