What is the hardest topic to study for NET+?

Comments

• Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    epedrosa wrote: »
    IPV4 and IPV6 routing protocols Like Distance-Vector protocol RIPv1. RIPv2, BGP, EIGRP, IGP

*sigh*

BGP is NOT a distance vector protocol. It is a path vector protocol. There is a difference.
  • jjasso21jjasso21 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The hardest topic in my opinion was the cable standards, and the subnetting (even though there is very little of this in the exam). It is mostly basic questions and scenarios, although it covers a wide variety of subjects.
  • valondonvalondon Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cable length and speed
    Subnetting...

Probably will never understand subnetting.
    A+, MTA: Networking, Net+, MTA: Security, MTA: OS Fundamentals, Security+
  • kremitkremit Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    memorization and V6 are my weakest points. I know what protocol is UDP or TCP, its a matter of actual port # memorization that gets me. lol. I think im mixing V6 questions on the CCNA with N+. oops!
    Pending:
    640-816; ITIL 2011
    2013:
    Sharepoint, ITIL, CCNA
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    Cables!!!!!! HULK SMASH!!!icon_twisted.gif
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • TenaciousDTenaciousD Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You got it man subnetting is for me the real issue. I thought I understood subnetting until I tried the comptia sample test, I just when't huh? I question involved creating a subnet for 4 groups with different number of computers
  • magisterludimagisterludi Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I found subnetting to be troublesome, binary conversions, apparently I need some work in remedial math.
  • camomancamoman Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Subnetting is probably the most challenging even for seasoned admins. The guy I work with now has 15 years of exp and still states trouble with subnetting networks.. The OSI model is not really that difficult once you start to apply a real 'network' physical system to it..it will all come to light. icon_cool.gif
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    I think back when I took it several years ago, the area I did worst on was WAN technologies.
  • Brandon1981Brandon1981 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can't believe the OSI model is voted the hardest topic! I find if one of the more understandable concepts of networking. Especially by the time you get to Cisco, the OSI model is your friend. That's just me icon_wink.gif
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    I can't believe the OSI model is voted the hardest topic! I find if one of the more understandable concepts of networking. Especially by the time you get to Cisco, the OSI model is your friend. That's just me icon_wink.gif

While I agree that the OSI model is easy in hindsight, I'm not really surprised. You have to consider the fact that people taking Net+ generally have little to no networking experience. The OSI model is easy, but only if you can put it into context of what you know. When its just a list of abstract concepts, it can be confusing.
  • mightymidgetmightymidget Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Whilst studying for the exam I found the following difficult - Understanding Dynamic Routing such as RIP and OSPF and what makes them different from Packet/Cell switching used in WAN technologies such as Frame Relay and ATM.

RADIUS, Kerberos authentication and VPN tunnels such as PPTP, L2TP, & IPSec and all the encryption protocols and methods gave me big headaches because I couldn't work out how they all fitted together to supply a service and what and when each was used, or should be used.

Subnetting had me worried but it shouldn't of because only the basics came up in the exam, I was learning it to the same extent you need in Cisco entry exams and it just isn't necessary.

No problems with OSI, found the Exam Cram explained it really well and gave me great confidence with these questions.

The exam was pretty hard, mostly because the questions lack detail and you often have two or three answers that could genuinely be correct, except one may be slightly more correct than the others. So with many of the questions its best to go with you initial gut feeling which in most cases is the correct answer. It's very easy to talk yourself out of the correct answer if you look at the question for too long icon_smile.gif
  • GngoghGngogh Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • mworwellmworwell Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The OSI model was easy. The hardest part for me to grasp was the remote access and security protocols.
  • DenholmDenholm Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hay everyone i'm new here, so i got a problem and could seriously do with some advice. i'm writing my N+ exam soon I've only been studying for 3 weeks so far and have no experience in networking, I've been studying from the professor messer N10-005 vids and other free material plus I've done alot of free N+ exams which are 100+ questions long but here's where the problem comes in, i can't score 80% or above. In all my tests i keep scoring 70% - 79% and i'm getting frustrated cause i want to score in the 80s as a minimum.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Mworwell, I concur.
  • SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    Buy a Network+ book (I'm using Myers). Read it front cover to back. Make flash cards with MemoryLifter after each chapter. Crush the test.
  • mady0009mady0009 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would say the OSI model for me. Specifically, trying to remember all the services and protocols within each layer. Was a little tricky and def took me more time to work on that area than any other requirement for the NET+
  • deep_logicdeep_logic Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For me, it's the different Ethernet standards. I think i need to make a **** sheet of the standards to keep them clear.
  • DetroitPierogiDetroitPierogi Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Acronyms on top of acronyms on top of acronyms.
  • den1966den1966 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You said it brother icon_wink.gif
  • JDPJDP Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mostly the bulk of Objective 3.0! Which is what Net+ is mainly consisting of. The rest of objectives were covered in Security+, and we keep repeating those and those are already mastered. The cable types, connectors that go on them are hardest for me to remember-- length, speed, distance, attenuation etc.. Need more hands on practice and, those who've already taken and passed Net+ a few weeks ago are on to the hands-on stuff now. The rest of us are still doing test drills. Occasionally individually, (but mostly as a group effort), which drives me crazy as when there's study group in class usually everyone is shouting over each other or shooting out answers like machine guns and it is difficult for me to decipher what was said!!) We who are left to take the Net+ exam are not taking ours until the end of this semester....I feel as though we must be chopped liver, and it sucks!! To go into this field, it's very important you know by not just mind but by hand/eye what you are looking at (when it comes to troubleshooting)-- unless we get this practice, we won't be very good at our jobs!! It makes me very frustrated at times crash.gifBesides, they are cramming several months or more of training into 2/3 of the semester....so it's really accelerated!!!
  • romeo1808romeo1808 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Securities!!!! and SNMP
  • Andy2mAndy2m Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Subnetting specifically is a right headache. No matter how many different texts I read, videos I watch and posts I read it doesn't want to sink in. Unlike most other people, the OSI seem to make relative logical sense!
  • pierreaskmo2pierreaskmo2 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OSI Model is the hardest of all as i have to remember all the names and services associated with each layer.
  • QuantumCPUQuantumCPU Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would say the whole troubleshooting aspect but when you get to the whole Cisco realm its like someone taking a crap in your brain. Overall if you match CBT nuggets with books and practice exams/simulations and study over and over you can pass Network+ or any exam at that it all just takes time and repetition.
  • SegoviaSegovia Member Posts: 119
    Voted other for Troubleshooting.

Actual troubleshooting in the real world in my experience isn't that hard (for 75% of the issues), the scenario based troubleshooting questions on exams however... Annoying.
    WGU BS - IT Security ... Enrollment Date 10/15 ... Progress 45/124 CU {36%}
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    The OSI model mightn't be the hardest to study for, but is the hardest to wrap your head around conceptually for the first time and to start applying in a meaningful way. I mean it is more than just remembering what to do with sausage pizza or fearing birthdays. But it is also, I have found, the most useful concept in understanding networking, and actually a whole lot of other concepts that run along similar lines like storage virtualisation.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • KD!KD! Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For me being a newbie to the tech side of IT/NET+ it is mainly understanding how all things work together in the network. It can be a bit confusing. However, I'm chipping away at the Iceberg one icepick stab at a time, and am enjoying the ride to certification