do employers care about college gpa?

yazan84yazan84 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
whether good or bad, should I mention it in my resume?!

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    never any reason to mention it on your resume unless you are applying for an entry level job with no experience right out of college and you have a 4.0+ and want to differentiate yourself from other entry level candidates.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Never had anyone ask about my GPA, except for government jobs that required a certain GPA to start at a GS-7 instead of a GS-5. Other then that, at my school some coops required a certain GPA.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is no yes or no answer to this.

If you were to apply to IBM as new graduate it means the world. Anything under a 3.5 your resume gets trashed. That is a fact. I know accenture is like that to, with new graduates. Other companies focus more on the degree itself and not the GPA.

Top 50 companies will indeed focus on GPA especially if you are going for a executive training program.

It really all depends, but if you are looking to get into helpdesk or some other entry level position GPA doesn't mean a thing.
  • yazan84yazan84 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all, I'm going to adjust my resume and upload in a different thread for critiques
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yah im going to be a college grad soon and if you do not have a 4.0 i was told to not put it on the resume. i have a 3.6 which i am pretty proud of and i dont list it.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From my experience no. I have never been asked or heard of anyone being asked their GPA.

I would only list GPA if you have a 4.0 +
  • hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    Keep in mind I was/am a recent college graduate, I was asked for my GPA on every interview.

I also had it listed on my resume.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Keep in mind I was/am a recent college graduate, I was asked for my GPA on every interview.

Really? That's a new one for me, but I did graduate almost 4 years ago...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Here's my thoughts on the subject:

First, only list yours if it is a 3.5+.

Now as for GPA mattering, not really. Yes it may help a little bit if you have a 4.0 but I would argue that it isn't worth the added effort that is required. I graduated with a 3.5 not because I was lazy but rather because I felt my time was better used elsewhere. The difference between a 3.5 and 4.0 would have meant not being able to hold a full time job in which I gained years of valuable experience.

If a potential employer is going to hold my GPA against me for my decision then they're not a company that I want to work for.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    They only care if you can do the job.
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    never had an interview panel ask me about my gpa. the only 3-4 letter acroynms they care about relate to the job... mpls, bgp, ospf, ldp, dot1q...
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■

I used to ask recent grads about their GPA during an interviewinterview but only if the resume had little or no work experience. It wasnt because I cared about the GPA but more to start a conversation about their studies or educational background. I've never made a hiring decision based on GPA.

But that was a long time ago and practices may have changed for new graduate hiring in IT.

Having a GPA discusion come up verbally in an interview may be common but I would recommend not putting it on the resume. If the prospective manager really wants to know, they can always ask.
  • Heny '06Heny '06 Member Posts: 107
    If your fresh out of college or the like than yes. Other than that no, employers are under the thinking can you perform the tasks I am looking for.

If your a lawyer, than yes add class rank and the other fluff along with it :) Sorry I work in a law firm.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I would only list GPA if you have a 4.0 +
    This is exactly why I do give my GPA for my MSIT on my resume. :D

But before that, I never included a GPA on my resume and was never asked.

I also never gave the passing score of any certification I listed, and was never asked about that either. icon_lol.gif
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would think the GPA question would be normal right about now for recent college grads since there are so many out there looking for work. If you have a 3.5 or greater, I would say list it if you are less than a few years out of school.

As for what others have said, I was never asked, but I did list it. I had a 3.5, which is good by many standards. As someone else mentioned, I didn't feel that working harder would have been a wise choice as I was working full-time (work paid 50% of my private school tuition, after all) and school was more about my professional development and marketability than anything else... learning is something I can do without school and an expensive receipt (although I used the interesting topics to suite my own learning aspirations whenever possible).

If you are still in school and you are wondering where to settle for a GPA, I would say 3.4 on up is pretty solid... especially for what I see for graduate school... which is the real reason you will want a decent GPA. You may not consider graduate school now, but it could become an issue later in life... especially since you will almost always be competing with other college grads from here on out.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
    Also consider that a given GPA is not regarded as equal across all schools by employers. A 4.0 GPA from a state university might be weighted as equivalent to only a 2.5-3.0 GPA from a much better school. So for all of you going to schools like DeVry, UoP, and WGU, be sure to get as close to a 4.0 GPA as you can, because someone with a degree from a school like CMU or USC or UCLA with a much lower GPA may likely be regarded as more desirable than you by a prospective employer.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your GPA indicates both how well you learned what your major taught and how good you are at getting results. If it's competitive, of course you should post it. A 4.0 > 3.5 > failed to list it because it wasn't very good. Even when it's not required, it will give you a leg up on the other few hundred applicants for a desirable entry-level position.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Also consider that a given GPA is not regarded as equal across all schools by employers. A 4.0 GPA from a state university might be weighted as equivalent to only a 2.5-3.0 GPA from a much better school. So for all of you going to schools like DeVry, UoP, and WGU, be sure to get as close to a 4.0 GPA as you can..

Absolutely!
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Also consider that a given GPA is not regarded as equal across all schools by employers. A 4.0 GPA from a state university might be weighted as equivalent to only a 2.5-3.0 GPA from a much better school. So for all of you going to schools like DeVry, UoP, and WGU, be sure to get as close to a 4.0 GPA as you can, because someone with a degree from a school like CMU or USC or UCLA with a much lower GPA may likely be regarded as more desirable than you by a prospective employer.

Just a note, WGU is pass/fail. A pass is equivalent to a 3.0.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
    Just a note, WGU is pass/fail. A pass is equivalent to a 3.0.
    It's a good thing that most employers don't ask for a GPA then.