Failed CCNA

Alexf302Alexf302 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
The simulations did me in. They were far more complex than those in the Boson practice exams, and so many configuration commands that I was used to using were locked out. I would find what seemed to be a problem, but the normal commands that I tried using to address them didn't work at all. Eventually I'd see how much time I'd spent, panic, and just move on.

The normal questions were pretty close to the ones on the Boson practice tests, though Cisco uses trickier language.

I fear that this is the end of the road for me. I don't have another $300 to lay out for a retest, so that's that.

To those studying, make sure you know ALL of your show and configuration commands and what they can do. Don't get too comfortable thinking you can get by with just a few. Lab as much as you possibly can.

Comments

• jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    Alex sorry you failed your exam but maybe next time take the 2 test method like the ICDN 1 and 2. Thanks for your input but i'm curious if you did any labs with GNS3 or hands on with real equipment? don't give up, go back at it you got the advantage now and you know what to expect.
  • drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Alex, dont get discouraged. I failed mine twice before passing it. The labs can be a **** - but I encourage you to keep trying.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1) A CCNA raises your market value by thousands, so it doesn't make sense to let exam cost hold you back.

2) Boson's Netsim is actually their product for the CCNA labs and will give you way more practice than the exam sims require.
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Alexf302 wrote: »
    The simulations did me in. They were far more complex than those in the Boson practice exams, and so many configuration commands that I was used to using were locked out. I would find what seemed to be a problem, but the normal commands that I tried using to address them didn't work at all. Eventually I'd see how much time I'd spent, panic, and just move on.

The normal questions were pretty close to the ones on the Boson practice tests, though Cisco uses trickier language.

I fear that this is the end of the road for me. I don't have another $300 to lay out for a retest, so that's that.

To those studying, make sure you know ALL of your show and configuration commands and what they can do. Don't get too comfortable thinking you can get by with just a few. Lab as much as you possibly can.

Alex,
    Don't let it get you down. Give it a little more time and go after it again. One good source for practice is the CCNA 640-802 Network Simulator by Wendell Odom. Amazon has it for just under $100, but by the time you go through all the labs, you will just laugh at the CCNA exam.
  • Alexf302Alexf302 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.

Another $300 is a tough pill to swallow, and my study time will be much more limited, both as a result of my impending wedding and honeymoon.

The most frustrating thing to me was that while struggling with the sims I worried to much about the clock, and so gave up. As it turns out, I had 15 minutes left at the end. I really wish that I had stuck with at least one of them. I was close enough to passing that nailing at least one may have pushed me over the top.
  • kaldroubykaldrouby Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Alex , i failed my ICND1 on sat - it is sad but think about it this way, now you know how's the test is and you broke that "first time feeling" for that test. take the report you got from cisco and study the weak points find new material to study from. and go attack it again .

you did it the first time trust me nothing will hold you back from a retake just dont wait to long give you self between 2-4 weeks just so you don't lose alot of info.
  • Ola_CISCOOla_CISCO Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't give up Alex, give it another try and you'll definately get it, this time round the CCNA is definately worth another try!
  • jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    Don't give up we are on the same situation. I took the test last April 9 and I failed. I agree with what you said about the SIM I understand your sentiment exactly what happen to me. And yes $300 is not easy but I think it this way....

I will retake the test and will go for the 2 route test ICND1 and ICND2, After some research the CCNA 1 test are geared towards for re-certification and more experience in the CCNA world. You already spend time to study its just a matter of taking more time to study and practicing more labs.

I think you can easily pass ICND1 just take time to prepare for it then focus on ICND2 at least not too much on the budget. Stay focus and keep the spirit alive.
  • yamaj615yamaj615 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Alex man, sorry to hear that you failed but it happens to the best of us. In fact, i failed my first attempt at CCNA. I know it hurts but don't give up. You know where you need to improve so focus on those areas. LAB LAB LAB some LAB and some more LAB. Keep your head up!!
  • jkongbonmejkongbonme Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Alex, sorry to hear that you failed but don't just give up easily. You know I striked twice with CIND2 test. First attempted I scored 664, second attempted I did 804, but third attempted I hit the home run with score 930. What I try to sayl is focus on where your weakness is. Simulation is always trough for me too but make sure you understand what they are asking for. I know you'll make it, just study harder and do some practices. By the way don't pay full price for the test. I always purchased from Getcertify4less.com, they are legit vendors. Good luck!
  • seansabianseansabian Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Alex, don't quit now. I have failed the ICND2 test THREE TIMES but I'm still committed to getting my CCNA and CCNP. If I think about the exam costs for four exams (three failures at $125 and upcoming one at $150) then I should quit too. But I'm not quitting. Somethings we just have to work at, like these Cisco exams. Good Luck.
    ~ Sean