Going for CCNA

ciscon00bciscon00b Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm fairly new to Cisco networking, recently for work we bought couple of Cisco switches / ASA / Router . Though i have some experience in configuring these devices, i feel like i lake in knowledge. I want learn how really these stuff work. so i decide go for CCNA cert.

Currently I'm using these materials

1- ICND1 Book by Wendell Odom (2nd edition)
2- CBT Nuggets by Jeremy
3- GNS3

As u can see i'm using ICND1 book 2nd edition by Odom, is it OK or shall i get 3rd edition ? I'm married and have a 8 month old daughter, so it's really hard to find time for studies. How you guys find time, when you have a family ? Now i study just one hour at work and one hour at home.

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I know the married with a baby feeling. It's hard to find time to read, and sometimes you end up with sleepless nights. I'm lucky enough to have some slow days at work and a supervisor who encourages me to study when I can. If you start to find Odom's book tiring to read (which I did) go ahead and get Todd Lammle's CCENT book. I found it much easier to digest and read. Looking back it took me about two months of serious studies to pass the ICND1.

To answer your question, I've been told that there is nearly no difference between the 2nd edition and the 3rd edition.
  • ciscon00bciscon00b Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the tips. I'm trying to sit exam in July. Giving myself two months for studies.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ciscon00b wrote: »
    Thank you for the tips. I'm trying to sit exam in July. Giving myself two months for studies.

Good luck. If you have any more questions, don't be a stranger. The folks on TE are friendly and helpful.
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I find that ebooks, whether PDF, Kindle app or one of the Chris Bryant downloads are great for reading at work. I find that having a file on my laptop to read allows for alot more reading than having an actual book. I have read entire chapters while waiting on hold to talk to technical support.
  • ciscon00bciscon00b Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @sharkDiver I fall asleep after reading couple of pages, kept the hard copy at home and using ebook at work. I have plenty of time at work to read, i don't have any supervisor to monitor what i do, lucky me. anyway do you guys keep any time table to follow ? or just read when free.

@veritas indeed TE is a great place :D