I'm New Here... [CBTs]

kate39kate39 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi. i'm new here and to this line of study as well. some guy just contacted me from SmartCertify today, asking if i'd like to take their A+ CBT course, which sounds like a pretty good deal. i'm just wondering if anyone's heard of SmartCertify/SkillSoft, or tried them out.

thanks. ~
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say NO ... if you check at alt.certification.a-plus you will see lots of negative comments about them. The is always someone from there trying to justify their failings, but after seeing what BBB has to say about them I wouldn't touch them with a 40' barge pole.
    If you are after CBT, I would recommend the Learnkey ones featuring Mike Meyers - coupled with his A+ All in One book you should find that fairly comprehensive.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • PavlovPavlov Member Posts: 264
    I would agree with RusS - I used CBTs by TestOut (www.testout.com) - they were pricey, but covered everything you needed to know and their practice tests along the way through the course were very well done.

The Learnkey series is also good and I think it may be cheaper.

I've heard some horror stories about SmartCertify so I wouldn't push you in their direction.

Oh, and welcome to the forums :D
    Pavlov
    A+, Net+, i-Net+, CIW-A
    MCP NT4, MCSA 2K, MCSE 2K
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Welcome to the forums Kate,

I took the liberty of adding a poll to your post:

Use these links to check out their products:

icon_arrow.gifSmartCertifyDirect
    icon_arrow.gifCBTnuggets.com
    icon_arrow.gifLearnKey
    icon_arrow.gifTestOut
    icon_arrow.gifKeyStone
  • dumblondemomdumblondemom Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am currently using Smartforce. I have had a couple of technical problems with their site. And
    You certainly have to look a whole lot of other places to get all the info but why does comptia list them on there site as approved if they are so bad? Now I'm really worried about passing icon_cry.gif
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also went for smartcertify and was very disappointed in the lack of information in thier course. I decided to go out and get the all in one book to fill in the blanks that SCD left and realized that there was sooooo much. I called to ask them for more resourses and they have yet to call me back. icon_sad.gif

My advice would be to stick with Mike Myers books. A lot less money and way more info.
  • dannysovdannysov Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hang on a minute, CBT??? never heard of it, what are they, do i need them to study the A+ you all seemed to have tried it.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    CBT is short for Computer Based Training.
    (like a course on video, but these are on CD and you watch them on your computer.

Click this link and hit the Free Videos tab and look at some sample CBTs (also some A+ related):
    www.cbtnuggets.com/techexams