Options

It is worth taking classes for MCSE?

RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
I'm just starting out with MCSE and I was wondering if it is worth the money to enroll into MCSE night school courses to speed up the process of obtaining my certification.

Comments

• Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    RZetlin wrote:
    I'm just starting out with MCSE and I was wondering if it is worth the money to enroll into MCSE night school courses to speed up the process of obtaining my certification.

Factor in cost, your current knowledge level, and reasons for getting it "fast". I would suggest trying a cheaper route to start with. For example buy and book and frequent this site. Take some of the practice exams here and abroad. See if you're catching on and completely understanding the concepts. Once you determine you have, and feel you're ready, go take the first test. If you pass repeat the same thing for the other tests (you will need some form of a simple lab, especially when you get to the networking exams). If you do these things and still feel like you're not catching on or feel overwhelmed, then consider a class. As I spend from 40 to 60% of my time every year teaching, I can tell you that some people in the classes definantly needed to be there, and some are really already prepared for the exam when they get there. My opinion is this, it's really not worth spending 2500 to 3500 bones on a class if you really don't need it.

Another thing to consider is whether or not you have any experience in the environments and exam objective areas. If you've been building active directory (correctly) in a 2003 server environment for two years, then you probably don't need a class. On the other hand, if you've never heard of active directory, then a class with an instructor who has real world experience could be very beneficial.
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    Excellent advice Keatron
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    i agree

except for the perks i get from school, like multiple tests if i fail, free practice tests, and access to an online library with most if not all of the IT books i could want

alot can be learned without classes, but if you have no experience classes with some hands on learning is great, then try and set up a home lab

my lab is all virtual using vmware, so i can play around with alot of the exercises and setups

and i wasn't working in the IT industry when i started class so it helped me alot, but classes are not cheap, and basically they gave me a throurough foundation to go online and buy books to build upon
    get back to studying!!!