Starting pay for NOC level 1/2 in Major City?

johnnyarksjohnnyarks Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm curious to hear what is an appropriate starting pay for NOC in a Major City, i.e. Miami, Chicago, LA, NY, Dallas... I have 6 months experience in a NOC with N+ and CCENT. I'm sitting for ICND2 very very soon. To all those who started out as a NOC what did/are u making? I pretty much nailed all the technical questions they asked, (below CCNA level IMO) I have a follow up interview for a NOC position, and I feel like I did so well on the 1st interview that he basically ask if I wanted the job, I'm not sure whats proper salary, what did u first make? Job involves to be very flexible w/ available hrs, as it is staffed 24/7 position.

Comments

• SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Starting here in the DC Metro is 45-55k... that's with Sprint. CCNA will get you the higher end. CCNP will get you 75-90k, but by then you'd move on past the NOC environment.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • johnnyarksjohnnyarks Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks Somnipotent, I guess not too many NOC engineers on techexams :) ?
  • HackedAliasHackedAlias Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Denver is pretty similar, also 40-55k/yr with CCNA around 30-40k without
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Verizon Wireless (HQ in Northern Jersey) was paying about $60k when you factored in third shift pay and bonus.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It depends.

NOC Techs? 25-35k.
    NOC Analysts? That depends what they do. They are anything from a rack and stack tech to a monitor to a deployment prep. 25k to 75k.
    NOC Engineers? 45k+.

Most NOC engineers I've dealt with are actual Network Engineers and/ or NAS/SAN Engineers working in a "NOC". Everything from Level 1/2/3 support to design of new systems to documenting solutions to... You get the idea.

In our operation, a NOC Engineer needs to hold a project from signing to SLA review to QA control to network design to reviews w/ the customer.... Alllll the way to final deployment and lifetime support/customization/the works.

NOC people are great in small-medium environments or w/ ISP's. I've noticed otherwise... Oh it's red? Call Tier 2. Etc.

~
    :twisted:
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    darkerz wrote: »
    Oh it's red? Call Tier 2. Etc.
    Thats how the NOC is over here where I work haha.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    darkerz wrote: »
    NOC people are great in small-medium environments or w/ ISP's. I've noticed otherwise... Oh it's red? Call Tier 2. Etc.
    ~

QFT... you'd be surprised how many of my former peers in the NOC use the term "NOC Engineer" so liberally when infact all they ever did was respond to red alarms by generating a ticket for Tier II to work. Hilarious but true.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)