Newer Linux Book

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I wanted to brush up on my command line skills and I ran across this book on Safari Books Online.

Amazon.com: The Linux Command Line: A Complete Introduction (9781593273897): William E. Shotts Jr.: Books

Got some good reviews, haven't started reading, but will let everyone know how it is.
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• AceRimmerAceRimmer Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Probably OK.
    I went with Mark G. Sobell's "Practical guide to Linux Commands, Editors and Shell Programming" few years ago.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have that one, but it is fairly dry and just feels like man pages. The above text, from what I read thus far, is much better when it comes to not being so dry.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    No Starch Press is pretty good about that. I have The Linux Cookbook and How Linux Works which are both the same way. That is, a bit easier of a read. Although, I'm reading Michael Jang's Red Hat study guide (not a NSP book) which is said to be an easy read and am finding it to almost be too informal.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    What works for me better than books is following forums like unix.com and linuxquestions.org . Try to solve the problems that people post there :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE