Pay Scale After Certifications

SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
Im doing a MCP. MCDST and MCSA, i know its a hard question to answer but what sort of wage/pay increase should i be looking to get from my employer following this?

What wage/pay scale are other people on with these qualifications?
Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools

Comments

• MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    Why spend time on MCDST when your goal is MCSA?

I make 55K$/year with a MCSA. I got my current job having 2 MCP's. My salary has not increased allthough I completed MCSA/CCNA (one of the reasons for me looking for a new job icon_cool.gif )
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I believe experience, confidence and past wages will measure what you are worth. I know people with MCSA who make $14/ hour & people with just a few select certs who make over 70k.
  • NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's true. It all depends on past experience and past pay. Certifications just help you get more respect and more promotions. Just my two cents!
  • matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    Where you live also makes a HUGE difference. Here a job at McDonalds pays $6 / an hour. Go 150 miles north to a tourist town and you can make $10 an hour flipping burgers. Same thing goes for IT jobs.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Unless you worked something out with your employer before hand, I don't think you will get much of a raise after getting the certs.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    I have noticed some job postings where you get bonuses and small raises when you achieve higher certs! That's pretty rare but it's out there.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Guess the answer is to find a new job and a new wage from there?

Is it REALLY not worth doing MCDST when completing a MSCA as well?

Is it not a case of the more the better? Not having the piece of paper to say I can do what i can do has always been the resulting factor in not getting jobs as they don’t 'tend' to test your skills and go on what your CV/Resume says.

Plus if your moving from a low-ish paid job to another with these certs how many would be likely to 'exaggerate' there past wage? In order to receive what you are worth?
  • SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    In my experience MCDST means nothing if your real goal is for an MCSA, especially if you plan on doing net. admin work. I only got it b/c my previous job required it.
    So the point behind MCDST?
    I attained my MCSA in 2000 but I still took the MCDST after just to get familiar since my enterprise is moving to XP images soon. So in my experience I just went backwards to just get exposure from an entry level XP test, plus I just wanted to see the difficulty of this test. In my opinion the test was about comparable to a comptia test. Can anybody else back me up on that.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just thought I would chime in here. I got my MCDST because my first job in IT was a help desk position. Now I'm doing Network Administration so it was beneficial for me to get it because it was a stepping stone. Plus it is an elective for the MCSA as well. However, in my case I already had A+ and Network+ anyways.

Also, I receive a 15% salary increase after MCSE completion which is quite a bit from my current salary. So as mentioned before, those jobs do in fact exist.
    Im doing both certs together though. so MCDST will not be so much of a stepping stone.

I failed to mentioned that the goverment is paying for these due to some grant scheme, so doing both cant hurt??

Can i ask, if its not too personal, how old people are here and at what ages they reached their current job or at what ages they hope to reach their choice job?
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    svickers3 wrote:
    Im doing both certs together though. so MCDST will not be so much of a stepping stone.

No, but you have to take 4 exams for MCSA and MCDST could count as an elective plus another recognition on your resume. Although MCDST is 2 exams it may be beneficial to do.
    svickers3 wrote:
    I failed to mentioned that the goverment is paying for these due to some grant scheme, so doing both cant hurt??

Well that is nice. I get reimbursed for my tests, but I have to pass them or it's on me.
    svickers3 wrote:
    Can i ask, if its not too personal, how old people are here and at what ages they reached their current job or at what ages they hope to reach their choice job?

I am 25, but I have a BS degree in Computer Science which if I did not have I would not be in my current position.
  • SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    svickers3 wrote:

My last job paid for all my certs, so I can see where you're coming from so go for it. Besides MCDST is WAY easy after you do any of the server exams for MCSA/MCSE. I took both tests back to back a week after my last MCSE exam. I took the first one thinking I was gonna fail, I got like an 860, went downstairs told the girl (my coworker) to schedule me for the next one, and went back up and got a 775 on it (I sucked with the Office questions).

I'm 21. I just took my current position as Network Admin & Information Security Officer for a community bank, back in August, 2 months after I turned 21. I have no college, strictly work experience and classes from my last job. I plan on reaching my "choice" job in the next 3-5 years, after I go back to school and at least get my bachelors in Business.