bunch of ccna voice questions..

binargsbinargs Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
i know there is a thread up there about the equipment list but i wanted to see what most of you actually get to pass the exam.

right now i have a 3745 that was given to me, i am trying to get it up and running but for whatever reason it only got 128 mb ram so i had to order some rams.
i called cisco and inquired about comm manager express licenses and she said the last version that was support was 6.4 but she does not know how to order it.
i also know that you can get cucm on a cd, don't know if bootlegged or not, and run it in vmware. but how do i connect phones to the cucm and test fowarding and stuff?
i got some cisco ip phones and i know they go to the switch. but how would you set up the trunk port that is going from the router to the switch? setup a subinterface with encap dot1q vlan#? what about the voice trunk?
fxs ports goes on the router, but how do you connect a pstn to one port of the psx card and an analoge phone to the other?
how do you set up mutiple devices to practice call peers and legs?

also can anyone tell me what the digital modem bank with mica in them are for?

thank you in advance.

Comments

• azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi,

This is probably the biggest problem with studying for ICOMMv8. As it is an entry level Administration course, the expectation is you already have access to an installed environment. However if you are following the voice track, you don't build the environment till CIPT1/CAPPS.

Before diving deep into CUCM, ease your way into it with CME, you'll feel a lot less pain that way (see below).

CME: Getting IOS and CME for older platforms can be a challenge, they also need to be a matched pair so that the CME package matches the IOS version. That said, there are sites out there where you can "find" these things. For the 3745, the highest version of CUCM is v4.1.
    Recommended reading: CCNA:Voice IIUC (640-460) Study Guide, it covers setting up CME and the routers/switches behind it.

CUCM: Same as above really, but you can sometimes pick up the installation DVD on ebay. I got my CUCM v4.1 and v6.1 from there. Setting it up in vmWare workstation or ESXi now makes it so much easier. CUCM is installed in vmWare, and both CUCM and your 3745 are configured, with CUCM controlling your 3745 as far as VoIP is concerned.
    Recommended reading: Configuring Cisco Unified Communications Manager and Unity Connection, its really a step-by-step walk through.

3745/switch: Set up the 3745 as router-on-a-stick and trunk your voice and data vlans to your switch. The phones plug into the switch, and register with CUCM.

FXO/FXS/Dial-Peers/Call Legs: If you go through the CCNA:Voice IIUC (640-460) Study Guide, it would be a lot clearer then me trying to give a 50 words or less answer. But for FXO/FXS you will need a network module in your 3745 to support them (NM-HD2V or similar).

Mica/Digital modems: I've seen them on ebay, but not something I've ever needed.

Hopefully that gives you a bit of a start.