Opinions wanted

lanehlaneh Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm currently A+/Network+ certified, along with HP APS, Dell, and so many HP printer certs that I've lost count (25?). My job now is learning/working as a systems admin, and I'm doing the Server+ next week.

So, my question is, what next? I like "getting down and dirty" with the physical part of IT (MCSE?), but, then again, the opportunities for more advanced (MCSA?) training sounds good, too.

BTW, I ain't no spring chicken anymore, so I'd like to hear a few ideas on what other techs have done to continue their careers.
Famous last words of a redneck - "Hey ya'll, watch this!"

Comments

• mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    If you are learning/working as a sys admin - I'd recommend starting with your MCSA, then possibly moving onward and upward to an MCSE. Nice to get your CCNA as well, but CCNA material may be peripheral to your job as a sys admin.
  • jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    laneh wrote:
    So, my question is, what next? I like "getting down and dirty" with the physical part of IT (MCSE?), but, then again, the opportunities for more advanced (MCSA?) training sounds good, too.

MCSE will come after the MCSA it's the natural progression of the track
    the MCSA is more"down and dirty" and the MCSE goes into the design aspect of it, ccna can't hurt for a more thourough understanding of networking

then as you continue to get comfortable in your position you will see what your job role requires as far as specialization, basically as an admin you will never be done learning new things and obtaining new certs, for the simple reason that studying for a cert forces you to learn the material
    get back to studying!!!
  • lanehlaneh Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks!!!

The line of thinking that you guys expressed falls in line with my own thoughts. I especially liked this:
    basically as an admin you will never be done learning new things and obtaining new certs, for the simple reason that studying for a cert forces you to learn the material

One of the best lessons I ever learned - if you stagnate, you die.
    this site among others has proved to be a great resource for me, i can't imagine traveling this road without it, i mean, there are other sites but the atmosphere and the willingness to help our here is great, i learn so much from this site, and i know that if this site reccomends another site for furthure information, i can trust that the reccomended site will help me out
    get back to studying!!!
  • lanehlaneh Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icon_lol.gif I did it! Server+, 732 out of 800. Thanks again for the opinions, guys - I guess MCSE and maybe CCNA is next.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
    nice job :D
    get back to studying!!!
  • stndrd_123stndrd_123 Member Posts: 113
    Congratulations!