Options

Questions about the CCIE path and INE

KaibutsuKaibutsu Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I hope this is the right place to post this.

Brief history before I ask questions. I took the CCNA and CCNA-Sec tests a while ago, and then I was never able to actually use the knowledge at work and they were unwilling to pay for any more training. My old company was pretty siloed technically and you couldn't touch anything you didn't need to work on for your job, and no one was interested in other employees increasing their knowledge-base, which is why they wouldn't pay for any more training. Honestly I was pretty lucky to get what I got considering it had nothing to do with my current position. So in that regard, I am glad I got the training I did. So here I am later, now working a job where I am finally getting to work with Cisco gear. I know most of my knowledge has atrophied and I've been trying to build it back as quickly as possible.

Which comes to my questions. I know my end goal is to get a CCIE, but I didn't know if it was worth messing with the CCNP and just go straight for studying for the CCIE. I read there was no pre-requisites to taking it, but I was trying to decide if it was smarter to just follow the CCNP path first or dig directly into things from the CCIE level. Thoughts? I know I have a long way to go and a lot to learn, so I'm not thinking I will be studying for six months and I'll pass the test...heck no. I'm just trying to decide both financially and technically if it's worth pursuing the CCNP track first before trying to tackle the CCIE path.

Which leads to my final question, which is: if I am looking at doing the Full Access path for INE, do they go into basics at the beginning or do I really need to be at a CCNP level before I am going to have any clue what they are discussing? I've seen a lot of good response about their products, but I'm still hesitant to spend that kind of money per year until I really know if it's a good investment or not for me at the level I am at.

Thanks in advance for any input. I really appreciate it.

Comments

• Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    I recommend that you use the CCNP as a stepping stone. In itself it is a good cert to have and then you can work towards the CCIE long term. Remember that very few people actually pass the lab. The step from CCNA to CCIE would be huge but not impossible. You would be very confused at first with CCIE level topics so I recommend you go for the CCNP first.

Good luck.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would strong encourage taking the CCNP before the CCIE as a stepping stone.

Engineers frequently use the strategy "Divide and Conquer" when solving complex problems. That's one of the reasons networks have a seven-layer OSI model. Project managers have similarly seen the light, and that's why you often see complex projects broken up into smaller milestones. It's not just that smaller goals with specific deadlines make it easier to measure progress, it's that they also keep you more motivated, focused, and likely to succeed. I don't personally know anyone who successfully went straight from CCNA to CCIE.

If you go directly for CCIE, you are more likely to lose momentum or study inefficiently, less likely to reach your ultimate goal, and will have little to show for your efforts if and until you succeed.

Personally, I'm going for CCNP => CCIP => CCIE. The CCIP track will have been swallowed up by the time you pass your CCNP, but keep your eyes open for other good stepping stones.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    With CCIP going bye-bye, it gets a bit harder to do that portion. You can still buy the study materials without the testing for the letters, but at that point, you might as well just accept you're working towards the IE with a slightly longer (and less sturdy) bridge between the NP and the IE written.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    They do go over some basic stuff, but it's more presentation. ie, this is how this works and this is how you configure it, no theory behind it. The INE CCIE products do assume a certain degree of proficiency.

My personal recommendation is to pursue the CCIE, but also do the CCNP along the way, as the material you learn for CCNP is directly useful on the CCIE.
  • Options
    KaibutsuKaibutsu Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great, thanks for the info. Appreciate all the input. I'll focus on the NP first. See you guys in this forum after a few tests. :)