Computer Science VS Networking

onemindonemind Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I have just been accepted into a computer science degree at a good uni but am starting to have second thoughts about it. I was reading alot of posts at my unis forum from comp sci graduates that are unemployed saying their comp sci degree is too theoretical and all programming jobs are being outsourced to india ect ect

I love programming and math stuff because i am a natural geek but i am starting to think more about real world employment after i graduate.

I know next to nothing about networking but it seems to me there will be lots of good job prospects in the networking field compared with software dev jobs.

Looking over my comp sci degree structure, it is mostly algorithms and data structures mixed with software engineering and some higher math units ect and i dont think graduating with this degree will do me much good in the real world other than maybe post grad studies as a research scientist.

My uni has a degree called "Internetworking and Security (BSc)". This is a three year degree that also gives me the following certifications for credit and included in the cost of the degree: CCNA, CWNA, CCNP, MCNS, Cisco Secure PIX Firewall Advanced (CSPFA) .

The link to the degree: http://handbook.murdoch.edu.au/courses/detail06.lasso?crscdhb=TMBCOM

This would give me a BSc and several pro certifications in just 3 years.

Could a network pro take a look at this and give me some advice as to what possible careers this could lead to and if this degree looks like a good one. I simply dont have any knowledge of networking so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I posted a similar thread on a local forum and some guy told me that i should stick to computer science and do the certifications outside of uni because straying away from core studies like comp sci has less staying power. Pretty much saying that this degree will be out of date so in 10 years it will mean nothing whereas the core comp sci fundamentals dont change all that much. This sounded like some common sense but i would rather practical skill than theory.

Also, is it possible for someone with no network experience to pass ccna with 8 months to prepare and study hard on along with other units?

Thanks for any advice and information.

Comments

• porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    I wish I could find something like that here in NYC.

It looks like they cover areas which are currently in demand, and in my humble opinion, will still be in demand in the future. I also feel that this degree is as valid as a CS degree. The selling point for me is that you'll earn a degree in addition to being prepared to take and pass some great certifications. Looks like a win-win situation to me!

However, the question to ask is this. Will you be more satisfied learning about networking...or about software engineering? I think you should follow the path in which your passion takes you.

I'm a networking guy, so naturally I would select the BSc degree. However, if my passion were software development...I'd select the CS degree.
  • onemindonemind Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice Porengo,

I ended up choosing the networking degree afterall, with a minor in computer science to give me my programming fix :)

I'll just wait and see where it all takes me.

Thanks again

Cheers
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    Good luck and keep us posted! :)
  • qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    Ever think about electrical engineering?

My friend is getting a degree in Waterloo (Canada)

For his first year, he went for co-op in Taiwan. In his second year, he's doing it in Santa Clara California. Second year, simply wow. And of course the company is paying for him.
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • rarossraross Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Networking is slam packed with people, you would have better chances of getting a job with a CS degree then some kind of IT Networking degree. Probally 3-1 I would say, plus the job pays more :)
  • Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    Whatever you do get the certs to go with it. I recently finished a two year degree in computer science technology (in addition to my bachelors in criminal justice) and was told by the director of the program that I didn't need to get the certs as the two year degree was like a replacement for them. Wrong! icon_evil.gif

In my job hunts I've seen that a couple of certs and minimal experience will get you a job before just a degree will. I view degrees as holding the tie breaker with other job candidates with the same certs but no degree.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
    Good point,

The way my uni has it set up is they do the cisco networking academy through the uni and the cnna final exam is part of that units grade. Also, the cnna cert is a prerequisite for units in 2nd and 3rd years. If you prepared for the ccna and ccnp through your uni, why dont you just pay the 150 bucks or whatever it is and sit the exam?
    The way I have been told/taught is that you NEED a degree for IT. The certifications is for you to move up in the current company you are employed in. Except for the entry level certifications which dont really matter anyway :o.
    Thats why i'm doing the degree and certs in one hit :)

Lifes short
    Go to a job board and take a look at job postings and see what the requirements are for jobs. No matter what type of IT job you are looking for most have certification and/or experience requirements.

I don't think you NEED a degree to be in IT. If you take 2 kids out of high school and one gets several certs and four years of good work experience, while the other one has a degree and a cert or two. Most managers will hire the one with the experience.

I'm proud of all of my degrees and I'm going to continue working towards a masters degree some day, but at this stage in my career an A+ and Network+ cert is worth more and costs less. icon_lol.gif Bottomline, I feel like a degree is what will seperate you for the BIG jobs down the road (10 - 15 years). Good luck with school and try to get an internship if possible, that's often the fast track to employment.
    Go Bucks wrote:
    Go to a job board and take a look at job postings and see what the requirements are for jobs. No matter what type of IT job you are looking for most have certification and/or experience requirements.

I don't think you NEED a degree to be in IT. If you take 2 kids out of high school and one gets several certs and four years of good work experience, while the other one has a degree and a cert or two. Most managers will hire the one with the experience.

I'm proud of all of my degrees and I'm going to continue working towards a masters degree some day, but at this stage in my career an A+ and Network+ cert is worth more and costs less. icon_lol.gif Bottomline, I feel like a degree is what will seperate you for the BIG jobs down the road (10 - 15 years). Good luck with school and try to get an internship if possible, that's often the fast track to employment.

I agree somewhat with what your saying. But without a degree nowadays you cant even get your foot in the door with IT. The degree is required for that sole reason. Most jobs do post for experience, which the only way to get experience with a real it job is to have a degree and vice versa.

If you look at the job market, IT is a full job market as it is. Out of 20 people that graduate, there are probally 5 job openings. Who would you rather give the job to someone with a degree or someone without? And I am not talking about pity entry level jobs that you would get without a degree, like helpdesk etc. Anyway, thats my 2 cents.
    raross wrote:

Who would you rather give the job to someone with a degree or someone without?

All things being equal the degree gets it, but it usually boils down to who has the work experience and that's where I and many others are frustrated trying to break in to get the initial experience out of college. I see plenty of good jobs out there, but they require the 1-2 years experience. I don't blame managers for this either though. I'd rather hire someone with hands-on experience over someone fresh out of school armed with enough knowledge to be dangerous. Unfortunately, it seems that nobody wants to do the initial training anymore.
  • evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are a ton of programming jobs here in Cleveland. The companies cannot hire fast enough. I know a guy who just graduated who got a ton of job offers. Do what you like and you will do the job well. Once people see how good of a job you do, they will want to hire you. If you are not passionate about something you will not be as successful.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • kate88kate88 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think both are equal things.I totally agree with you.Computer Science is not a informational technology.It is totally different.It's a good subject.I am interested in this field.It provides full internet working functionality.Thanks for your advice.

Resume Objective Examples Learn computer Resume Objective
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    The programme looks good. Yeah it is possible for someone to pass Cisco without having any previous network knowledge, it will be hard but is possible. By the looks of it you will gain quiet a lot of industrial certifications, which is good because you will have a high chance of getting employed. Also I am sure that your university will have a internship schema or something. Try and do some Microsoft networking systems certifications such as MCSE, MCSA, MCP etc because most companies use Microsoft products which will also increase your employment chances. Try and get work experience while you are in University, even volunteer I.T work would be good because employers want a candiate who has some kind of experience. Try and build up some contacts and refrees too. I know that the economy is down right now but it will be much better in 3 years, I hope.

Best of luck !!!
  • CChNCChN Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've got a 4-year B.CS under my belt and life in the networking/telecommunications industry couldn't be better for me!

It's all about how you use your degree. Degrees in a technical discipline (i.e., engineering, computer science, pure math) are all good starting points for a career in technology. No matter if your starting point is in software development, telecommunications, system administration, etc.
    RFCs: the other, other, white meat.