Noobie to CCNA voice with questions...

wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
Hi guys,

Please excuse me if these questions have already been answered but I looked for a while and decided to just post a new thread.

I just decided yesterday to do CCNA voice instead of CCNP (as it will be more useful for me to get a job in the network team at work), so I really know nothing at this stage.

I have a couple of 3550s, 2620xm and just got my hands on a 2811 and a couple of phones. Is that all I'll need?

Also I have a copy of CUCM v7 but have absolutely no idea how to install it. I understand I need a VM but I've never done this either so a little out of my depth at the moment. Do I just install VMware and then CUCM inside that? Also will it run on my ASUS laptop (2G processor and 1G of RAM)?

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 2811 is a great start, same with the 3550's (Inline power capable?) and phones.

CUCM v7, while not the current version being tested (thats v8.x) will definitely give you a good start.

CUCM can be installed on its own stand-alone server, but has rather specific hardware requirements. Best bet is to install vmWare on the laptop and install CUCM within that. However a 1G RAM laptop is not really going to do it, CUCM requires 2G RAM on its own, so it would be best (if you can) run it on a 4GB RAM laptop. Probably not the answer you were looking for.

Hope that helps as a starter.
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Yeah my wife's going to love that - "Hi honey...guess what, I need to get another PC now as well" icon_lol.gif

Oh well, if it must be done...
    wbosher wrote: »
    Yeah my wife's going to love that - "Hi honey...guess what, I need to get another PC now as well" icon_lol.gif

Oh well, if it must be done...

I didn't notice you are one of our Kiwi cousins across the Tasman.

Just look on the new PC as a coincidental opportunity!:D
    Everywhere I go I bump into Aussies icon_lol.gif
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□

She'll get used to it. Mine learned to ignore my geeky ways or she rolls her eyes and says "Okay".
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I always think about my impending demise whenever i buy something and she asks me what i spend a certain amount on when she's doing the finances hahaha. You should see the look on my face as i try to convince her i will not buy anything for while.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
    I've got a bid on a cheap PC on an online auction, it's less that my wife pays for a pair of shoes. icon_lol.gif I tried setting up VMware in Ubuntu but it didn't work, so I'll set up a Windows XP box.

What IOS should I have on the 2811 router to run CUCM v7 and CME?

I'll probably have more questions later, just working through them as I go...
    Shoes? icon_lol.gif

Minimum IOS 12.4(24)T7 or 15.0(1)M8 will both run CME v7.1 (and is compatable with my NM-CUE v7.0.6), have not tried anything above that as yet as I believe you start running into licensing issues.
  • MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    I would suggest looking at youtube anytime you need to learn how to setup something like this in the future. Please take a look at this video and look around for others, I just grabbed the first one I seen. I had to set this up for my CCNA studies in the future and it takes hours for the installation process.

Installing Cisco Unified Communication Manager CUCM 8.6.1 on VMware Workstation 8 - YouTube
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • hotandnerdyhotandnerdy Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□

Oh well, if it must be done

It has to be done! I convinced my wife....for the good of the family. :P
    The auction on the PC runs out tomorrow and I still have the lead bid...fingers crossed. I've got my hands on a CUCM 7.1 install disk from a guy at work, who also got me c2800nm-adventerprisek9-mz.124-22.T5.bin (that should work I hope). According to the feature navigator on Cisco.com that has both CME 4 and CUE. My 2811 only has only 64MB flash, so this image will just squeeze onto that. Also download CCP from Cisco.

Getting there, just watching CCNA voice CBT nuggets (the new one) before I set it all up. That should at least get me started. :)