CCNA or CWNA first?

I'm getting ready to take my A+ then on to Network+. Is there a better order in which I should take these certs (CCNA/CWNA) to help study for the other? Do either of these certs need to be renewed? Thanks for any help.
"Me fail English? That's unpossible."

Comments

• evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the CCNA before CWNA but you could take them in any order. CWNA is vendor neutral. The CCNA will give you a good understanding of basic networking. Both the CCNA and CWNA need to be updated. You can update them by pursuing a higher level certification (CCNA upgraded by CCNP) or by taking an upgrade test.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I would say go for the cert first in the area that you currently have more experience. If you are a hands-on Cisco tech then do the CCNA. If you know your stuff about 802.11 technology then go for the CWNA.

And if employment is a factor, the CCNA will get you more employment opportunities than the CWNA will.
  • Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    Employment is always a factor when you're unemployed :)

CCNA it'll be then. I wish I would've done my A+ and Network+ last summer when I was unemployed and not in school at the time. Oh well, now I'm six months behind where I could've been.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
    Go Bucks wrote:
    Oh well, now I'm six months behind where I could've been.
    There's nothing you can do about this, so don't think about it. Always look to what you need to accomplish in the future, not to what you might have accomplished in the past.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    Go Bucks wrote:
    Oh well, now I'm six months behind where I could've been.
    There's nothing you can do about this, so don't think about it. Always look to what you need to accomplish in the future, not to what you might have accomplished in the past.

Excellent advice. I agree totally.
  • JayfresshJayfressh Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have taken the path you wish to travel, A+ followed by Network +, and currently studying for CCNA and CWNA. I think this is a somewhat logical path for Networking certifications, A+ giving you the basic Computing fundamentals, Network + giving you a basic understanding of Networking and Protocols, with these two Certifications you will understand and gain more thru study for your CCNA and/or CWNA. Studying subjects that you don't understand or comprehend is a waste.
  • SaneelSaneel Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    I am working in a telecommunication company as a pre sales executive.Hence my job profile is technocommercial.

1) Will a CWNA certification help me? if I want to make my career in Wireless security or in industry related to wireless stuff.

2) If yes what is the certifications u suggest me to do after my CWNA.

3) Also dont you think that by doing CWNA certification wld be very specific to a particular field only and would hence onself to a very specific area only.

Thanks.
    Saneel wrote:
    1) Will a CWNA certification help me? if I want to make my career in Wireless security or in industry related to wireless stuff.

2) If yes what is the certifications u suggest me to do after my CWNA.

3) Also dont you think that by doing CWNA certification wld be very specific to a particular field only and would hence onself to a very specific area only.
    1) Yes

2) CWSP (http://www.cwne.com/cwsp/index.html) and Wireless# (http://www.cwne.com/certifications/wsharp/index.html)

3) The CWNA is specific to IEEE 802.11 wireless networks (LAN and WAN) and is independent of any vendor-specific information. The new Wireless# exam covers all types of wireless networks, and will give you a broader understanding of wireless data communications.
  • moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□

Jdmurray good advice I love it , thats what Iam doing now doing what I love Architecture I have sadly quited computer networking its not for me

good advice jdmurray :D