Security+ Continuing Education

brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
I took Security+ in December of 2010. I thought I was set for life. Someone here at work brought up Continuing Education Credits. Do I need to take additional courses to keep my Sec+ in affect? Thanks.

Comments

• gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    brownwrap wrote: »
    I took Security+ in December of 2010. I thought I was set for life. Someone here at work brought up Continuing Education Credits. Do I need to take additional courses to keep my Sec+ in affect? Thanks.

That depends if you work for DoD (8570.01). If so, you do need to partake in CE.

I'm sure certain employers could require you to stay current, but technically speaking you are grandfathered from a CompTIA perspective as to it's lifetime validity.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Basically what gunbunny said. If obtained on 31 December 2010 or prior you are certified for life. Certain employers and the DoD directive above require that you participate in the CE program.
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Yes, I work for DOD. Thank you.
  • biker_dudebiker_dude Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I work DOD also. I first got A+as part of IAWF. I'm planning on getting my Security + as a fulfillment of my CE. You have 3 years from your CE enrollment date to complete all your CE credit.
  • charlesc09charlesc09 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    biker_dude wrote: »
    I work DOD also. I first got A+as part of IAWF. I'm planning on getting my Security + as a fulfillment of my CE. You have 3 years from your CE enrollment date to complete all your CE credit.

Another option I ask before is you can redo the security every 3 years to renew. It's a bit more costly, but will save you alot of time. Alot of us don't have time to go through all this CE thing.

I'm still in the middle of studying for Sec+, been so occupy with my current job, I didn't feel motivated to study after work. But will start to get bk to the flow soon.