Recommended course of action for studying for Sec+

KeithdmitchellKeithdmitchell Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

While I've been employed in the IT field for the past 15 years now I never picked up another certification after picking up my A+ and Network+. That said I've been tossing around the idea of picking up 2 more certifications, mainly the Sec+ or Server+ and my VMware VCP since I deal with Vmware based solutions on a daily basis.

So I planned on giving myself a month to get ready for the Security since I am familiar for the most part with the material however I just need a refresher so I've been using a PDF for testing and several online practice exams. I did also see that Darril Gibson's Security+ book is highly recommended so I plan on picking it up ASAP. I also found an exam crams (sy0-101) book on my bookcase, not sure how it got there but I didn't buy it.... I suppose I shouldn't even bother using it for study as it's outdated, right?

What I wanted to know is how everyone who is planning to take the exam going about doing so and from those who already passed it how the experience was.

I hate exams but I need to get off my butt and get my education back on track.

Comments

• quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    G'Day Mate,

You are correct about using Darril Gibson's book, I also used the exam cram as supplemental material, it is a good idea to print out the Security+ objectives and perhaps do a 10 question practise exam from the Comptia website. This may give you some idea on what your strenghts and weaknesses may be.

Exam Objectives:Exam Objectives

Practise Exam: Sample Questions

The Sec+ is a very popular exam, there is a huge focus on the management side of security, you are perhaps already familiar with backups, DRP's, hot, warm, cold sites, etc. Organisational policy, etc, seem to be increasingly favoured, also items such as encryption, access control, accountability, secuiring switches, routers, firewall basics, etc are almost all listed in the objectives.

Given your level of experience, I would say that you may not find the Sec+ terribly difficult.

Hope this helps :)
    The Wings of Technology
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    I'd echo quinnyfly that you shouldn't find the Sec+ very difficult. Based on your experience, you should be able to easily take and pass it within a month. Some reviewers on Amazon mentioned they read the book in less than a week and passed the exam though I personally don't think I could read it that fast.

In my experience, the Security+ exam is valued by many, but I'm not sure you'll get the same mileage from Server+. And VMware VCP is certainly valued by many. Unfortunately, you can only take it after attending a class but maybe your company will pay for the class. Last, the SY0-101 book is very outdated since the exam has been updated twice.
  • KeithdmitchellKeithdmitchell Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Darril wrote: »
    I'd echo quinnyfly that you shouldn't find the Sec+ very difficult. Based on your experience, you should be able to easily take and pass it within a month. Some reviewers on Amazon mentioned they read the book in less than a week and passed the exam though I personally don't think I could read it that fast.

In my experience, the Security+ exam is valued by many, but I'm not sure you'll get the same mileage from Server+. And VMware VCP is certainly valued by many. Unfortunately, you can only take it after attending a class but maybe your company will pay for the class. Last, the SY0-101 book is very outdated since the exam has been updated twice.

With the VCP My company had already paid to have me take the fasttrack, however it wasn't damn near right before Vmware put VCP5 into play. So I'll either have to foot the bill and pass to get reimbursed or have them put me through it again.