jobs for students

JVWhiteJVWhite Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
what jobs do you all recommend for a high school senior soon to be college student looking to break in to IT. All the job listing I have seen have been for people with 1-2+ years experience and a B.S. well where can i get this experince. I am studying right now for OS portion of A+ then I'm certified. Any tips would be appreciated (because I can't take fast food anymore.)

Comments

• Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Look for help desk/support positions, or PC repair tech;something along those lines. Also look for any volunteer oppurtunities as well. Right now, you need experience and education. Are you going to college? IT is not easy to just break into, it takes time and dedication, and patience. I asked the same question when I joined this forum a couple yeas ago...how do you get the experience, if no one is willing to hire without it....make yourself better. And don't give up...
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    I joined this forum a couple yeas ago...how do you get the experience, if no one is willing to hire without it....make yourself better. And don't give up...

Ditto. I agree 100%. Keep improving yourself and don't give up. I took me a couple years of applying for IT jobs while working in retail before I finally got one. It was well worth it.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would finish the A+ and then look if there are any work study positions for IT at the college you attend. Depending on the size of the college there could be various opportunities there.

If that is not an option then perhaps look to trying to get a part time position at like a Best Buy or some form of tech support.

Good luck.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Volunteer work at schools, community centers, charities, and other organizations with IT needs are good for the resume. Usually, larger cities have adult education programs that are looking for people to teach the use of computers, specific software packages, and the Internet in general. Teaching experience looks good on a resume too. Check the job listings at the city's unemployment office web site for both paying and volunteer positions.
  • porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    jdmurray wrote:
    Volunteer work at schools, community centers, charities, and other organizations with IT needs are good for the resume. Usually, larger cities have adult education programs that are looking for people to teach the use of computers, specific software packages, and the Internet in general. Teaching experience looks good on a resume too. Check the job listings at the city's unemployment office web site for both paying and volunteer positions.

jdmurray, you sound like a TeamTechies Associate. icon_wink.gif
    porengo wrote:
    jdmurray, you sound like a TeamTechies Associate. icon_wink.gif
    No, but I have a teenager who's starting to ask the same kind of questions, and those are the answers I've been giving him. He does volunteer work at the local library, so that's a start.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JVWhite wrote:
    ...soon to be college student looking to break in to IT.

when you get to college look into what type of student work is available at the school you are going to. They might have positions like computer lab proctor and helpdesk. Your school should have a deptarment that will help you setup an internship.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • JVWhiteJVWhite Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks alot everyone, those were some good suggestions. I am current submitting apps to a few different places, so I'll see how it goes
  • rarossraross Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am also looking for a job. I am currently a freshmen working with my university but they only provide me 20 hours a week doing research with the professors making $7 dollars an hour. Which is not bad plus I get to put it on my resume. But I am looking for another job also where I could maybe pull in $10 dollars an hour working 20 hours a week. I looked into repair etc, It is just not something I want to do. You guys know if there is any engineering interns out there? I am hoping for another job which is related to my major which is computer engineering and computer science (double major). Anyway if anyone could help me, maybe point me in the right direction, much appreciated.
    raross wrote:
    But I am looking for another job also where I could maybe pull in $10 dollars an hour working 20 hours a week.
    You could make a lot more than $10/hr if you put your MCSD to work at a part-time programming position. It sounds like a hardware shop that needs firmware written would be just perfect for a CS/CE guy like you.
  • rarossraross Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    raross wrote:
    But I am looking for another job also where I could maybe pull in $10 dollars an hour working 20 hours a week.
    You could make a lot more than $10/hr if you put your MCSD to work at a part-time programming position. It sounds like a hardware shop that needs firmware written would be just perfect for a CS/CE guy like you.
    Yeah the problem is finding a business like that around my university :[. But I will take a look. Thanks for the information.
  • qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    Well for me, I did co op for a computer repair shop in high school.. so I gained some knowledge there.

At least I have something to throw on the resume, After I did a year of college. I applied for helpdesk.

Let's review the details of my helpdesk job.

Skills and Experience Required:

* Technical Diploma or two year's of technical work experience. -
    ]nope, one year of schooling, four months of computer repair
    * Intermediate level understanding of IP protocol.
    sure
    * Strong knowledge of windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP operating systems.
    sure
    * Basic understanding of networking topologies, connectivity and equipment.
    sure
    * Troubleshooting skills.
    i repaired pcs and fixed my friends' computers!
    * Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
    i personally thought i really sucked at this (a lot better now since I got the job)
    * Strong listening skills.
    not really
    * Ability to work independently with a proactive approach.
    sure
    * Talent building rapport with customers, making them feel at ease.
    sure, i've worked in a fast food restaurant and i've had to deal with pissed off customers
    * Team player.
    sure, mcdonalds.

Outcome: I achieved the job.

Now let's take a look at the jr. systems administrator job i recently applied for.

Skills Required:
    • Enrolled in or graduated from Computer Science or IT program
    i've done a year and a half
    • Knowledge of Linux
    very little. I mean very
    • Windows and PC hardware required
    sure
    • Production knowledge and/or experience preferred but not required
    sure, i have a helpdesk job
    • Training on specific tasks to be done on site
    sure

outcome: I got an interview next week

What's the point I'm trying to prove? Ignore the requirements, if you can fill a majority of them. Apply for it. To be honest, jobs should be coming soon. A lot of places are asking for a lot of "requirements" meanwhile, a lot of fresh people out of colleges/universities don't have them. The people that CAN meet the requirements probably already work for a pretty big business and get paid a lot more then what the job your applying to is offering.

If you get lucky, they'll get desperit. But hey, that's your step in.

edit:
    dishwasher [5min drive] $6.40CAD
    stockboy [5min drive]$7.50CAD
    pc tech - co-op [8min drive] $0.00CAD
    helpdesk - [22 to 30min drive] $11.00CAD
    jr systems admin [1h to 1h15m bus ride, possibly longer + 15min subway ride + 10min street car ride]$13.00 to $15.00CAD

As you can see, I'm making a sacrifice for the god damn experience. But in the end, I'll be one step closer and furthur! See the pay increase!? (ignore the co op though lol)
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
    just go back from my interview at Circuit City for In-Store PC Tech. I had about 3 rounds of interviewers, management and employees, and it all seemed to go really well. They said they well call me with a start date and everything, so....

The only thing is that I didn't ask anything about starting salary, not thinking it was apporperate at the first interview. Is there a time that I can ask this, I'd like to know before accepting and find out I get less than I do now ($6.85/hr).
  • qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    Normally if the wage was really an issue to you. During one of the interviews, they should of asked you "Do you have any questions?"

At that point, it would of been good to ask. Congrats on the job, circuit city is well known in the states :)

I doubt they pay lower then 6.85 though.
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
    Just got back from orientation, I really like it there, the techs were cool and so was the PC Manager. This seems like it is really going to help with getting future jobs with the experience and all.

Plus, I start at 9.25/hr, hells yea!!