Is there any benefit to just having your CCIE written?

pcgizzmopcgizzmo Member Posts: 127
I'm curious if you only pass the CCIE written but never take the labs if there is any benefit from that?

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pcgizzmo wrote: »
    I'm curious if you only pass the CCIE written but never take the labs if there is any benefit from that?

Yes! "CCIE Written" looks good on a resume. :)

(Note: you may pass the CCIE written, but you never have the CCIE written, as there is no such certification.)
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've seen job ads that prefer "at least" having passed the written. So you can hit some keywords on your resume, even if you don't have the CCIE proper.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    obviously its not as good as the real deal but i see tons of ads for a minimum of CCIE written! thats something i was thinking of to be honest even if i dont attempt the lab!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • pcgizzmopcgizzmo Member Posts: 127
    Thanks.. I might add it to my list of things I want to take but wanted to see if there were any benefit. I might never get a chance to take the labs or get the time to study for them.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pcgizzmo wrote: »
    Thanks.. I might add it to my list of things I want to take but wanted to see if there were any benefit. I might never get a chance to take the labs or get the time to study for them.

Many folk are in that situation but the best guys to tell you are the ones who have achieved the written already. i wouldn't take my word for it as i have not done it.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    It depends on the person. Some people will be highly impressed that you've passed the written.

However, if you never intend on taking the lab, and you hype the Written up front, the natural result will be an appearance of a lack of follow through, unless you make it quite obvious that you're advancing your skillset in other ways.

There are many many many people who pass the Written each year. Very few go on to attempt, let alone pass the lab.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It depends on the person. Some people will be highly impressed that you've passed the written.

However, if you never intend on taking the lab, and you hype the Written up front, the natural result will be an appearance of a lack of follow through, unless you make it quite obvious that you're advancing your skillset in other ways.

There are many many many people who pass the Written each year. Very few go on to attempt, let alone pass the lab.

This.
    It may help you get an interview over someone who doesn't have it, but only because it should be a sign that you are trying to actively go beyond your current highest level cert (presumably Professional). If you have taken the written and show no signs of doing the lab, either by admittance or simply because it was so long ago, it can have a negative affect at your interview. The written is simply a stepping stone, as disheartening as that may sound because yes it can be tough, but really is not seen as an achievement in itself by the folks interviewing you for jobs at the level where it becomes important.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    This.
    It may help you get an interview over someone who doesn't have it, but only because it should be a sign that you are trying to actively go beyond your current highest level cert (presumably Professional). If you have taken the written and show no signs of doing the lab, either by admittance or simply because it was so long ago, it can have a negative affect at your interview. The written is simply a stepping stone, as disheartening as that may sound because yes it can be tough, but really is not seen as an achievement in itself by the folks interviewing you for jobs at the level where it becomes important.

This isn't my side of the house, but I'm one of those who would look at having just the CCIE written but never taking (or wanting to) take the lab as a lack of follow through.

I can't see someone with just a CCIE written command a CCIE salary though [unless this personal also collected a chunk of Cisco certs plus of course years of experience], but again this isn't my side of the house. There is a reason why that lab is super-duper hard and folks spend years labbing for it.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I guess a CCIE written is 1 up than a CCNP. I would expect a IE written will be pursuing the lab. I think its funny for me if someone I know took the IE written and doesnt want to pursue the lab. Pursuing the lab will teach you things that you cant imagine. It will make you a better engineer.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I can agree that if you do take the written you should plan on taking the lab, but some people take the written- and have life intervene which postpones a lab attempt. That being said, I currently hold a position normally reserved for a CCIE, and I'm pretty sure one of the reasons I got it was that my company saw I was moving towards the lab. So I guess I feel it can't hurt really.

As a side note, I recently got an offer I turned down (due to personal reasons) which was WELL into the CCIE salary range- and the hiring manager specifically stated my CCIE written being a motivator. Would I pay a CCIE written a CCIE salary? No..but they were willing to.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What exactly is a 'CCIE salary?' I know this is a certification forum, but I think people get a little too caught up on things like this....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    What exactly is a 'CCIE salary?'

To me, it's always been low six figures. Never saw CCIE job posting for less than that.
    Yeah but thats a network engineer/architect etc. salary. They aren't paying you just because you have the CCIE which is what 'CCIE salary' makes it seem. That's just not the way it works in the real world unfortunately.
    I only answered that to see where we were going with this. :) I was under no illusions you didn't know what a CCIE salary was.

Thing is though, I'm not seeing someone who earned a CCIE doing CCNA-type of work. But I'm also not seeing a CCIE with no experience getting those network engineer/architect role either with a "CCIE salary."

Let me ask a question...are there CCIEs that you or anyone else know with substantial network design experience making less than $100-$125+k? [In the Western World...not talking Asia]
    I think the key there is substantial network design experience. To answer your question, no, but I also don't know anyone with that kind of experience making less than that whether they have a CCIE or not.

I'm not trying to put down the CCIE (I'd love to have one myself and we all know it's very prestigious!) but just like any other certification its simply a qualification that can help you get a job. Its not like you start receiving a check in the mail as soon as you pass.
    Its not like you start receiving a check in the mail as soon as you pass.

Well, I guess I'll cancel that CCIE Boot-Camp then.......

:p

On a serious note, I agree wholeheartedly on that though.