I passed Route today!

SuppahMarioSuppahMario Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I wasn't sure if I was ready (honestly, with Cisco, I'm never sure) and I just started studying for it after passing TShoot 2 weeks ago. I got 100% on the labs but struggled with the multiple choice questions.

I am taking my MCSA upgrade - 70-648 - next Friday so I will start studying for Switch after that.

I'm honestly amazed that I'm 2 for 2 with my CCNP exams.

Comments

• MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Congrats!! Route feels good to pass huh?
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • yamaj615yamaj615 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! Working on mines now. How long did it take you to prepare?
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations!

That's quite an undertaking! Good luck on the next one.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Keep up the great going.
  • SuppahMarioSuppahMario Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just under 2 weeks of studying, although I did do a little bit of Route studies when I studied for TShoot.
    MickQ wrote: »
    Congrats! Keep up the great going.

Thanks - I'm already planning what I'll do after CCNP. Thinking of Security.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Under 2 weeks to prepare? Wow! You must be working in the industry! Great job. I'll be grinding on this longer than 2 weeks after I get SEC+ out of the way.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • all_dayall_day Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Grats mate.... I'm jealous at how easy it is for some of you guys. Are you in the industry atm?

I've been going for four months now 14-20hrs p/w and still a couple of months away icon_sad.gif
    Yes I've been in IT for about 15 years and doing Cisco (not exclusively, though) for about 4-5 years. Overworked and underpaid, like the rest. ;)
  • saffyresaffyre Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Grats. Curious on the cisco certs. You said it took 2 weeks, but you've used Cisco before. I'm going to be pounding out the Cisco certs myself in the next couple of months. I'll have my MCITP: EA, Network+, Security+, etc.. How hard would you think it will be? I know the concepts pretty much, but the command lines, etc will be what I need to learn the most as i've really never used cisco switches, besides the Small Business interface stuff.
    WGU Progress: Network Design and Management: started 04/12
    Courses transfered: CSV1, WFV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, AXV1, CPV1, INC1, INT1, DFV1, GAC1, HHT1, DHV1, CWV1, QLT1, DEV1, BVC1, IWC1, IWT1 (64 CU) Courses Completed: CRV1, CTV1, CUV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1(30 CU)
    Courses needed: BOV1, BNC1, TPV1, SBT1, RCT1 (20 CU)
    Courses in progress: BIV1 (6 CU)
    To be honest I failed 3 times when going for my CCNA.

That was back when I first was using Cisco. Now I use it regularly which obviously helps a lot.

I found the GNS3 to be really helpful this time around in prepping for my CCNP exams. The GNS3 is routing only so you'll need something for practicing switches. I have a closet full of Cisco gear for that. Get good study materials. Chris Bryant has some good stuff. CBT Nuggets helped me, too. Their Route stuff was better than their Switch stuff, which seemed recycled.

I think it would be hard but not impossible. If you study like crazy and do everything you can to get your hands on sims and emulators to practice, you can pass it. Good luck!
  • saffyresaffyre Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cool,
    THanks for the tips. I plan to go for CCIE over the next 2-3 years... Going to be rough i'm sure.. I haven't used the CBT Nuggets stuff yet myself, because it always seemed rather expensive, compared to others that worked just as well in my opinion... I'll have to start purchasing some books and reading up on the stuff... I need to start purchasing my equipment... You wouldn't by chance know what equipment i should buy that can be re-used for all of the certs, up to CCIE would you? Not really too concerned with cost, although I don't want to spend 20-30k also... But I know i'm going to need equipment... Might as well start out the correct way to begin with... I have a few clients who have Cisco stuff, but we outsource all of the Cisco stuff because none of us know Cisco equipment... Would be nice to be able to do it myself.
    WGU Progress: Network Design and Management: started 04/12
    Courses transfered: CSV1, WFV1, AGC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, LUT1, QBT1, AXV1, CPV1, INC1, INT1, DFV1, GAC1, HHT1, DHV1, CWV1, QLT1, DEV1, BVC1, IWC1, IWT1 (64 CU) Courses Completed: CRV1, CTV1, CUV1, AHV1, AIV1, BHV1(30 CU)
    Courses needed: BOV1, BNC1, TPV1, SBT1, RCT1 (20 CU)
    Courses in progress: BIV1 (6 CU)
  • MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    I would suggest looking into using simulator like many others who study for this exam. Either get familiar with GNS3 or another simulator. The CCIE lab I believe is now all set up on Cisco's infamous IOU program. Well the troubleshooting part of the exam anyways. Sending that kind of money on equipment isn't necessary and I wouldn't recommend.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats! I hope you go 3 for 3 icon_cheers.gif
  • waragiwaragi Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Considering how unstable iou can be i hope not for the ccie people