General questions about network+

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've gone through all of the Cisco semesters and I'm starting to take my exams now, starting with network+.

Ive always had issues with subnetting and I know that Cisco is very deeply involved in it. I was wondering if the network+ exam has a lot of questions that require you to use subnetting skills, such as "what is the broadcast address of this network" and "what ip address is not in the same network as xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx"?

Does anyone have any tricks on learning these?

Also port numbers. Does anyone have any hints, algorithms or tips on how to memorize them?

These are the only two things holding me back.

Comments

• matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i dont really believe in "tricks" so i cant help you with that. but I have went through the exact exam path you plan on going through. its all about going over the material a lot. network+ isnt too bad, took me about a month, same as CCENT & ICND2. write everything down and study it. That is the only real way to learn it. videos, books what ever it takes to understand it
    N+ doesn't go into subnetting very much maybe 1 or 2 questions and its out of 100 multiple choice questions I wouldnt focus on it
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    If you have completed the Cisco courses I think it would be pointless to go for Network+ (unless required by something such as a WGU degree). You would be better served by a CCNA than a Net+. The only reason I did Net+ is because I had zero interest in Cisco over 10 years ago. Since you have the courses, I say go for the CCENT at least. I was also afraid of subnetting and tried many methods to learn it. My mistake was not fully committing to one in particular. I had such a mix-up of "shortcuts" in my head that couldn't put solve the puzzle. What finally did it for me was this thread: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38772-subnetting-made-easy.html. That and many hours of practice exercises.

In regards to ports there aren't that many that you'll need to learn. A quick search on this site will bring good results.

Face your demons, defeat them and move on.
  • quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Reckon I can help you with the ports for sure:Protocols and Ports Table.pdf
    The Wings of Technology
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote:
    If you have completed the Cisco courses I think it would be pointless to go for Network+...snip.....

I need to reread all the material for CCENT and CCNA. I came across a free copy of the Network+exam cram and browsed through it and I have an interview on the 21st for a network engineer position. I just want to swing on and take the test next week Saturday so I have a little more to show than just my degree.

I heard network+ is easier and if it weren't for the position I would be skipping it at this point. While I'm probably not going to get the job since there is a network technician that may go out for it I believe I will prepare myself for that opening, once he slides right in.

I've never been to an interview for a technical position like this. The networking department at work barely opens up any positions and I'm very friendly with the director of network administration.
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sweet, thanks for that! I'll print this up at work and toss it in my cubicle wall. Make some flash cards and go through them every half hour.
  • a.a.!4lifea.a.!4life Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here's one trick for remembering the imap port, when I think of IMAP I think of "I love you" aka 143 icon_lol.gif.
  • quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think of it like this:

SMTP: Simple mail transfer protocol, this is who places your mail in the post box so it gets delivered to the post office, he lives at number 25 on port street.

POP: Post office protocol "pat the post man," the dude that delivers your mail..."well....should I say....email," said another way, this fella, (if he were a protocol) delivers your mail from the post office. He lives at house number 110 on port street.

IMAP: Internet messsage access protocol, this fella you can ring up and ask him to arrange your mail at the post office, he can throw out <delete, save, copy or forward mail> and lives at number 143 on port street.

A simplified analogy in ascending order.

Hope this is helpful.
    The Wings of Technology