Passed 701 & 702!!

itsgonnahappenitsgonnahappen Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
Finally got my A+ and can finally add this cert to my resume!

The Practical Applications exam was much more difficult than Essentials. Essentials basically consisted of hard facts and numbers...where Practical Applications left me scratching my head a number of times over questions that I honestly have never had to deal with, what so ever in my experiences in tech support.

I got hit by many NTFS file permission related questions and a lot of Windows 7 folder directory location questions.

My studying primarily consisted of the Exam Cram book and a whole lot of googling. The Exam Cram book was a good refresher...however, I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for a book to simply help you get through the exams as I was... There has to be a better book than this.

Good luck to everyone else taking the A+ exams!

Comments

• ampersandampersand Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass! What certification do you plan on pursuing next?

I'm currently studying for my A+ exams and using the Professor Messer videos as an introduction and the Exam Cram book for more in-depth study. In what way did you find the book lacking? Thanks. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.
  • itsgonnahappenitsgonnahappen Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks! I'm currently pursuing my Security+ cert. I would certainly recommend Messer's videos as I find his style of teaching to be effective. As far as the exam cram book... I was looking for a book to give me everything I needed and nothing I don't. However, I felt like it didn't give me everything I needed and gave me a whole lot of what I didn't. I had at least 20 questions between both of my exams that weren't covered or undercovered that I was tested on.

I'd give the overall usefulness of the book for my purposes a 3.5/5.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • MrkaliMrkali Member Posts: 105
    Congratulations on the pass! :)

I used Mike Meyers All In One for my A+ studies. The problem was weighing in at around 1200 pages there certainly was material that lacked relevance.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    1200 pages for A+ eeeek
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • JL15219JL15219 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Big CONGRATS!!
  • TridztanTridztan Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Kudos on passing your exams! Looking forward to taking and passing mine soon. I'm also using Exam Cram and a couple of videos.
  • kremitkremit Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    itsgonnahappen, i completely agree with the "practical" applications test felt harder. Glade you passed and good luck on your future :)
    Pending:
    640-816; ITIL 2011
    2013:
    Sharepoint, ITIL, CCNA
  • techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
    Congrats on the pass! I forgot just how thick thick that book was. Whats next?icon_thumright.gif
    (CCNP: Switch) Passed!
    (CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
    (CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
    (Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study:
  • Kopite_21Kopite_21 Member Posts: 194 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • BetrayalBetrayal Member Posts: 108
    Congrats on passing!
  • gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass...
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Carl_S_901Carl_S_901 Member Posts: 105
    The Practical Applications exam was much more difficult than Essentials. Essentials basically consisted of hard facts and numbers...where Practical Applications left me scratching my head a number of times over questions that I honestly have never had to deal with, what so ever in my experiences in tech support.

I got hit by many NTFS file permission related questions and a lot of Windows 7 folder directory location questions.

/sigh

I'm taking both A+ exams day after tomorrow and I have always hated this whole folder path questioning. I mean if something changes from XP to Vista to Windows 7 then is this something we should be memorizing or is it more important that we know how to accomplish the specific tasks.

I get why they do it, but I disagree that it is the pertinent knowledge one needs to know. After all, if I really need to know where OSBSCURE.DLL is located, I can just type it in the search box. :)

Grats on the pass!
    Carl S.

Check out my personal certification journey blog
    http://carlscertjourney.wordpress.com/
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Congrats icon_thumright.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD