Options

start small

I think most people on this site understand that you have to start small in IT, if you don't read this. ---This is in no way meant to offend anyone.

http://www.thenetworkadministrator.com/Hearfromyouboss.htm

Comments

• Options
    jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    this is one of my favorite sites to visit, he has some pretty funny but true stuff as well as some good information
    get back to studying!!!
  • Options
    evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks. That was a very interesting read. I showed it to all my students.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • Options
    saintbobsaintbob Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I read the article and found it very true and informative.

One item I would like to add, as someone who's been around a bit and interviewing, check your speaking skills. I know this may sound silly, but I work with lots of young people and they tend to speak in an interrogative tone,in other words,they sound like the're asking a question even if the're not.

I don't mean to offend anyone,but I find that tone a bit irritating and to me it shows a lack of confidence and affirmation. If any of you have the opportunity to take public speaking courses or give oral presentations,DO IT!! Once you get over the inital shyness,you will find the experience rewarding. I'm used to it, I've been interviewing for a new job for the past year, I'm an Amateur radio operator, and I do some IT work for a small radio station and had to get on the air one night for a local emergency.

Don't be afraid to record your speaking or have a friend critique you either. It beats losing a golden opportunity.

Good luck to all.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    A very good read, from a great site. My favorite is the Etch-a-sketch help desk, here.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thats too funny...
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Great article! Im about to enter the real world around may...because this is my last semester!
  • Options
    my_id_0308my_id_0308 Member Posts: 171
    Love this site!!It is really true!!!Eye-opener
  • Options
    nknk417nknk417 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do people in the IT Field need any more beat downs? This is my interpretation of the article:

1) Better expect to start at minimum wage

2) Certifications don't matter, only experience, and you'll still start at minimum wage.

3) Gotcha!

4) Listen to your Master

5) You better have a degree from MIT....and you'll still start at minimum wage.

6) IT work is "Tedious and Petty"....?

7)"You must have real credentials"....I guess a Masters will be nice....and you'll still start out at minimum wage.

icon_cool.gif Not only will you start out at minimum wage you'll be providing help desk for Windows 95 "too cheap to upgrade"

9) See number 2

10) Don't use Hotjobs

11) study IT 24/7 and have no life.

12) Learn to speak Geek

13) Learn to say "Yes Sir....I'll do anything for a dollar Sir"