Where Should I Go From Here?

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am trying my butt off to get my feet wet in the networking realm. I have a good amount of experience with lab environments, etc. I have a CCNA and am currently studying Sec+ to get it out of the way and under my belt.

I want to go far into the networking realm but it seems most places value experience over all, Certs next, so I am having a hard time getting interviews. A tier1 job is all I want for now so I can practice what I have studied and learn more, as well as gain experience. I have every intention after completing Sec+ to dive full on into CCNP but as I start to think about that should I focus my efforts on something else? Maybe something Microsoft oriented, Linux, etc?

I don't have a huge background of IT (2 years of Help Desk) but my main focus is to become an expert in networking. I am in such a tossup if I should do nothing but focus intently on network or should I pick up something else along the way. I am also afraid that might make me into a jack of all trades. I really and truly want my choice of expertise to be in networking. If I did explore some other avenues I wouldn't be looking for something extremely rigorous, I want my networking skills to stay fresh so that I remain knowledgeable for interviews.

Thoughts?
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would look for NOC positions, where you would be monitoring networks and then calling out issues to providers or remoting into switches/routers to take a look. Most first level NOC positions don't require much in the way of experience as they are looking to train you up. If you move down the server route, you will become a jack of all trades. But that isn't a bad thing, as even a little experience in the area you want to be in is better then nothing. Also, look for MSP's in your area. You might be forced to work the help desk, but by showing a knowledge of networking you could grab networking tickets as they came in and eventually move to the networking team they probably have.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I actually did interview for a NOC position for network monitoring for my company but I didn't get it. I am a Full time employee for the company and they brought in a contactor. icon_sad.gif Very disappointing. I guess I just need to keep looking and keep studying for more certs! The way I am going I am going to have a CCNP before I get a job in the field I want :0
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That's a shame that they passed you over for a contractor, but I'd guess that the position needs someone with the experience that can get up and running quickly and not have to learn on the job as well. Do they have plans of adding more NOC positions in your company? If not, it may be best to look at another company and either find a NOC job outright (if lucky enough) or get a desktop role at another company that has more growth potential for you to move into after a year or so working for them. Keep working hard, knocking out those certs and you'll get your opportunity sooner rather than later.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Happened to me once as well, the big thing is to not let it get you down. Keep moving forward, applying to positions as you come across them and also continuing your pursuit of knowledge. When you least expect it, big things will happen.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks guys!