Passed Security+ today

NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
Cleared Security+ today with 822/900. Time was not an issue as I finished with in excess of an hour remaining.

I started studying after passing ICND2 on May 3. I really feel like having the CCNA made this test a lot easier for me - CompTIA is correct to advise N+ and 2+ years networking experience before this exam.

I studied primarily using Darril Gibon's book for 3-4 hours a night after my son goes to sleep (usually 9pm-midnight or 1am) for a little under 2 weeks. I work full time in IT at a software company where security is a high concern for us, so I do have some experience which I believe also helped.

I can say without question that this subject was daunting and intimidating before I started. While reading Darril's book, I found myself waiting for the 'hard part' - it never came. Darril, thank you for writing such a comprehensive, easy to read (and understand) book. For anyone who has read other posts and is still wondering, Darril's book is top-notch. Also thanks to TechExams where I have been lurking for some time - I used the TechNotes section as well.

I would advise anyone planning to take this exam to not only understand all of the technical aspects described in the exam objectives, but to also study 'best-practices' for many cases. I found the practice test on CompTIA's web site to be representative of the actual test. IMO Darril's practice questions actually did a better job of measuring knowledge of the subject.
When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.

Comments

• cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
  • quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratz mate, good score :)
    The Wings of Technology
  • MrkaliMrkali Member Posts: 105
    Congratulations on the pass! I'm currently studying Sec+ using Darril's book and have found it to be an excellent resource, as well.
  • dmac17dmac17 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good job on the pass. I have the books for my ICND1/2 that I have yet to really crack.. I will be going for an updated A+ and the rest soon. Good to know about this resource for Sec+
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Excellent job! What's next on your schedule - CCNA:Sec?
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • rantoine718rantoine718 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass i passed mine as well today but i have no idea how to post it on this site
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    Excellent job! What's next on your schedule - CCNA:Sec?

I strongly considered either CCNA: Security or going on to the CCNP route. However, I spend a lot more time in code/Application level stuff at my current job with some network duties sprinkled in. Networking does interest me but I am most interested in pursuing a career as developer so I decided to pursue some other certs that would transfer in to WGU to shorten the IT development program I plan to enroll in. The CCNA does satisfy the transfer requirement and a few things for that degree - for me it was most important to gain a good baseline of networking concepts.

Currently working on MCTS 70-432, though since I heard from the counselor today that it doens't cross in, I may not take that exam.
  • jjrockjjrock Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dmac17 wrote: »
    Good job on the pass. I have the books for my ICND1/2 that I have yet to really crack.. I will be going for an updated A+ and the rest soon. Good to know about this resource for Sec+

Just curious as to which books your using for ICND1/2? Thanks!
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lammle's books are great. Explained every concept in detail with absolute clarity.