Has anyone on here used Wireshark's online training? (Chappell University)

YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
Once I finish my CCNA studies, I would be really interested in possibly getting the Certified Wireshark Network Analyst certification. My current company uses the program, and they really like when employee's get certifications on their own. I'm hoping the CCNA/CWNA/RHCSA will put me up for a promotion icon_thumright.gif.

I was looking at Chappell University - Online Training - All Access Pass and noticed it cost $699 for a one year online license. They offer over 10 different courses, but once you add-in the cost to take the certification + online access, I'm looking at $1000 total for a certification on a program that is free.

It seems like a no-brainer to save the $1000, but I personally feel I could gain some in-depth knowledge of various protocols plus troubleshooting skills that could benefit my networking and security career.

** Edit: When I search "wireshark" on indeed.com, it comes back with over 1,500 hits..so employers like the knowledge.

I'm hoping to get feedback from anybody who has taken the online courses but I also would not mind hearing other opinions as well.

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've dreamed about it. I would love to take the training, it's the price that will hold me back for a while.
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    I don't know the answer but what does the training provide over just the cost of the book and some initiative to learn the material on your own.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    I'm planning to work through the "Wireshark Network Analysis" book by Laura Chappell, after I finish the Packt Backtrack series. Wireshark Network Analysis I've heard good things.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Good recommendation, the_hutch. I'm bookmarking it
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have the book and plan to get to it at some point. I'm pretty sure you could use the book and Google to get all the information you need to not only pass the exam, but become an expert with Wireshark. I don't doubt for a second that the videos are good, but if someone else isn't paying sometimes you gotta forgo the expense ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    For 700$ you'll probably get some demonstrations and half of the information in the books. I'd stick to the books! The trouble is finding the time to read them and practice. Unfortunately, time is something you can never get back, so best to spend it wisely. Likewise, money is best spent with some expectation of a return. I would go to the manager and ask what the certification would be worth to them, on top of paying for the training.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thank you for everyone's input. I currently own Wireshark Network Analysis and "Wireshark Network Analysis" book by Laura Chappell, which I'm thinking that should be sufficient. The video's would definitely be nice to have but I rather save the $700 and put that towards OSCP icon_lol.gif.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTE FROM PREVIOUS REPLY

Yeah...that sounds like a better use of the money to me. I haven't had a chance to do OSCP yet and don't anticipate being able to any time soon...but if you're strapped for cash and want to get in some solid backtrack training, check out these.

Amazon.com: BackTrack 5 Wireless Penetration Testing Beginner's Guide (9781849515580): Vivek Ramachandran: Books

Amazon.com: BackTrack 4: Assuring Security by Penetration Testing (9781849513944): Shakeel Ali, Tedi Heriyanto: Books
    Thanks for the suggestions the_hutch, I bought both of those books last year. Once I started reading the books, I realized I needed a better foundation of networking, windows, linux, and scripting. I could understand what was being said in the books but felt I could definitely get more out of the books with a little more knowledge of the area's I just mentioned.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Eyes to the road I want to see those letters next to your name. CCNA :)

Just kidding, but I can't wait to you nail that exam.
    LOL, I hope to have CCNA next to my name by the middle of June! I need to keep my eyes on the prize.