Quit Network+ and start CCENT/CCNA?

traceyketraceyke Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'll try my best to keep this short & concise.....

So I've been studying off & on (more "off" than "on") for the Network+ for about a YEAR. It has been that long mainly due to life changes (jobes, my 1st girlfriend, etc). I'm literally 13 pages away from finishing Mike Meyers Network+ book and I'm starting to wonder if this is really worth my time and money. Way back in late 2010, I took a Cisco Academy Course and LOVED IT! However, I couldn't attend the next semester of the academy due to my help desk (more like call center) job cutting heavily into class time. During that time, I was desperate to get away from the phone jobs and figured that the Network+ would help make that happened. I was studying religiously until I finally got a hands on IT gig at a small solutions provider for an embarrasing wage (this happen mid 2011).

After a few months of that, I realized that I needed something better. So once again, I went back to studying for the Network+ hardcore, hoping that once I pass it, it would help my resume. Fast forward to now, I have an awesome full time "corporate IT Support" type job at a manufacturing company and I'm loving it. Now I'm finding it increasingly difficult to focus on obtaining the Network+....and now I'm thinking about ditching it completely and start (or restart) my journey to CCENT/CCNA.

So to make a long post short, am I wrong for wanting to ditch the Network+ completey for CCNA? Considering that my job is not quite entry level, would it still make sense to take the Network+? Right now I'm 55% for CCNA and 45% for Network+. I need to know whats the right decision.

P.S. Regardless of the choice, I still plan on studying/taking/passing Security+ by the end of this summer (Aug/Sept).

Comments

• MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you are that close to being done with the books and able to take/pass the test, get the Network+ first, then focus on the CCNA as that will build off what you learned in Network+. Not to mention you'd at least have that cert to satisfy HR morons who are looking for keywords and if you have a CCNA, but they require a N+, you'd probably be passed over. So get them both and focus on finishing N+ first since you are close to finished with that, then jump into CCNA with both feet.
  • NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    I'd say you at least go and take the exam if you've put this much time into it. Seems like you would pass based on your experience and the studying you've done. Can't hurt to have another cert under your belt before beginning a new one anyway icon_thumright.gif
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd say save the money and just go for the CCNA.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■

+1.

Plenty of overlap between Net+ and CCENT.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • tr1xtr1x Member Posts: 213
    If you already know a lot of the Net+ stuff out of experience, and just spent all that time studying it, just skip it. Useless cert as soon as you get CCENT/CCNA anyway.
  • networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Skip it. Use the money for CCENT or straight to CCNA exam.
  • halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    Take CCENT then CCNA or CCNA directly.

GSEC is more valuable than Security+ in my opinion. :)

Goodluck!
  • KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just completed my N+ this past March. It was actually my first certification. My employer was paying for it as more of a knowledge gap filler before jumping into Security related certifications. For me, the CCNA is on my radar, but it might be a while before I get to it as my employer is guiding me in the Security route and I may not have the time for a while. I see both sides of your issue, though. Take N+ side: You are this close to completing everything and it would "bolster" your resume since it seems you are still pretty new to the IT world. Skip N+ side: If you are planning on the CCNA in the near future then just go for the CCNA. I could be wrong, but I don't think both the CCNA and N+ will really get you anything "extra." My $.02: If you are confident that your job will last a while, go straight for the CCNA. The actual N+ certification does not seem like it will help your job but the knowledge (you have already gained) has/will. Build on the knowledge base without taking the exam, saving the $260+ and apply that towards the CCENT/CCNA or Security+.
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • traceyketraceyke Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tr1x wrote: »
    If you already know a lot of the Net+ stuff out of experience, and just spent all that time studying it, just skip it. Useless cert as soon as you get CCENT/CCNA anyway.

Thats's basically where I'm at right now. Even though I've pretty much finished his book, because of my experience, all I would have to do is study/review hardcore for maybe two weeks and I could pass Network+ outright. But since I already have the above average entry-level IT gig, I'm starting to realize that the Network+ (as a cert) won't do too much for me going forward. However, the knowledge that I've gained from it has been great. Furthermore, I plan on staying at this company for the next couple of years. This wouldn't be such a huge issue for me if the Network+ was NOT $260 and was still a lifetime cert.
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    OK Sparty, let me see if I can help.
    If you put all that time in studying for the cert just take it. You said that you are already going for Sec + so this help you with the CompTia trifecta. Some of your studies may help you with the CCNA but you have to understand Cisco specifics.

Although the Network+ is a fundamental certification some companies look for this credential as an understanding of general knowledge especially within the government. I had a buddy of mine who applied for a government gig and did not have his Net+ but did have a CCNA. They turned him down because he did not have the cert.
    The Network+ has you pay an Annual Maintenance Fee and apply CE's. You can use the studying of your CCNA towards your Net+.

Good Luck in your choice!
    bigdogz is right, the government can be a little weird about requiring entry-level certs despite having higher ones. Apart from them, I don't think anyone else would care. Let's put it this way, once I have my CCNA I probably won't even list the Network+. If you're not going to be applying for networking jobs anytime soon, you'll have enough experience by the time you do go to apply that listing a Net+ is going to undermine the rest of your credentials. That's my opinion. Not to mention the high cost of the exam itself and the cost to keep it from expiring. It's just silly for anyone that's not entry-level to go for it unless it's strictly required by an employer or something.
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd say if you're already there, just go ahead and take it. I'd use it as a litmus test to see if you're ready for the CCENT/CCNA. As bigdogz and tr1x mentioned, although most believe that it isn't a "useful" cert skillwise, it is still useful as a keyword on a resume posted to the big job boards. You'll be surprised how many hits you get just by keywords alone. Is it an expensive way to put a keyword on a resume? Yes. But if it helps you get a job, then it should already pay for it. Plus, if an employer requires it, they'll usually pay for the upkeep of it as well (true for many of the government contract companies including all of the ones I've worked for) so I wouldn't worry so much about the annual dues. I'd do a keyword search for Net+ in your area and see how many hits come back. Then make up your mind if the cert is worthwhile according to my above criteria.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

Agreed. +1 or as IOS says, "!!!!!!!!!!!!" no .....

If I could do things over, I would have done the CCENT and been done with the CCNA two years ago. It depends on what you want to do, but the CCNA is much more valuable.
  • discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    I am not one to advise someone to quit something usually.

HOWEVER, I find CompTIA certifications pretty irrelevant, unless you are 18 and just starting an IT career, in that case CompTIA A+ is good for getting entry level work.
    Beyond helpdesk staff and junior technicians I personally look for people with vendor specific skills, Network+ while teaching you useful skills is basically garbage on your CV, focus on Cisco and Juniper qualifications.
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pros - 1 more cert, HR key word and might be required for some jobs

Cons - No more lifetime cert (but would be renewed with Sec+, CCENT and CCNA), Cost

I don't think skipping it will hurt you if you get CCENT/CCNA I also don't think getting it will hurt either. The material learned can be applied to CCENT so that isn't a waste. The question is do you want to spend the money for the cert?
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I like your strategy personally. CCNA is strong go with that.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd say go straight for the CCNA because nobody in the networking field takes the Network+ seriously.

Exception: When's your next performance review? Having an actual certification as opposed to the common "I'm studying, and studying, (but going nowhere)." makes a raise or increase in responsibility more likely. If you're not confident that you'll finish at least your CCENT by then--and do take into account "life" as with your previous attempts--finishing off your Network+ might be wise.
    Thanks guys for all of the input and advice! It really helped me make my decision. I guess at the end of the day, I honestly don't want to spend $260+ on an entry level cert for the sake of grabbing HR's attention. Epspeically when I already obtained a borderline entry-level corporate IT gig. The cert would have had more of a benefit to me back in 2010 and early 2011 as oppose to now. I've decided to start studying for Security+ this summer (about to order Daril's book aka "The Security+ Bible")....and then gun all of control for the CCENT/CCNA. This is going to be an interesting couple of months now.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm definitely late to the party but I agree with the rest. I went CCENT/CCNA first and then came back to N+ (no idea why). I'm more of a visual/hands-on learner so being able to physically perform what I'm reading allowed me to learn the material better and in the long run, I've noticed that certs I've taken that involved actually performing the studied operations held up longer in my mind than those that were theoretical and solely involved reading. Surprisingly enough, I've seen some mandates for A+ even with people who have Sec+ and not Net+.
  • bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    bigdogz wrote: »
    Although the Network+ is a fundamental certification some companies look for this credential as an understanding of general knowledge especially within the government. I had a buddy of mine who applied for a government gig and did not have his Net+ but did have a CCNA. They turned him down because he did not have the cert.
    The Network+ has you pay an Annual Maintenance Fee and apply CE's. You can use the studying of your CCNA towards your Net+.

It depends on what type of work you consider performing. If you're looking to work for the govermnment or a government contractor (CSC, EDS, Northrop, GD, SAIC), I'd recommend the Net+, just because it meets the 8570.1 requirements. If you're looking to stay in the private sector, then the CCNA is a better bang for your buck.
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    bryguy wrote: »
    It depends on what type of work you consider performing. If you're looking to work for the govermnment or a government contractor (CSC, EDS, Northrop, GD, SAIC), I'd recommend the Net+, just because it meets the 8570.1 requirements. If you're looking to stay in the private sector, then the CCNA is a better bang for your buck.

this right here. it may seem tedious, but once it's out of the way it's done... for the most part.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
    Talked to the my boss (IT Manager/Sys Admin/Net Admin lol) and he wants me to get the either the MCITPs or CCNA after Security+. I plan on being with this company for AT LEAST 3-5 years. Henceforth, I'm definitely going for the CCNA after Security+. I've already ordered Daril's book on Amazon and I can't wait to dive in! :D
    Good choice, and good luck.