Passed! My experience.

jjrockjjrock Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I passed my Security+ last Friday with a score of 816! I just wanted to share my experience. Prior to studying for Sec+, I had also just passed Net+ and ordered Darrill's book online right away so i could start studying. It took me one month of studying a few hours every day, read Darrill's book twice and answered all the questions from the book. I booked my exam right away because I wanted to pass the exam and get it done (which i did) BUT I did not feel as prepared as I did when taking the Net+ exam.

Personally, the actual test for me was difficult! It was very tricky and most of the time they want you to pick the BEST ANSWER. I actually thought that I was going to fail this exam.

I think the reason why it was hard for me was because I did not answer more practice questions that I should have. I think I should have done more practice questions online and from other resources to get a feel of what the test would be like. Also if I already had IT experience (which I don't yet), it would have definitely helped.

Moving forward: I am very excited to focus onto ICND1 and 2 later on. Cheers!

Comments

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations. Passing this without any IT experience is a real achievement. Many people have tried and failed.

Good luck on the ICND exams.
  • quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hope you enjoy the Cisco route, I am also looking into it as most jobs here seem to want some cert for it in one form or another. Must be more popular than I first thought??
    The Wings of Technology
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    Which S+ did you take? I'm Studying SY0-201 and the N10-03 at the same time.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • jjrockjjrock Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Which S+ did you take? I'm Studying SY0-201 and the N10-03 at the same time.

I took SY0-301 and N10-005. Hm i'm curious is there a specific reason why you decided to take the older exams?
    More familiar with the material, of course I'll always be learning, but since I'll be taking them both in quick succession I might as well make it as easy on myself as possible. I learned all this stuff back in '06. I was lazy and cheap, and the Comptia annoucned that all thier certs were gonne get overhauls again, so I panicked. Frankly I just wanna get them done before there too much material to learn again.

That and the vouchers were cheaper. icon_study.gif
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I hope you realize that sy0-201 has been retired and no longer available.
    201 is still testable, you just can't buy the voucher any more, they 'officialy' stop testing for it July 26 2012. Mine is scheduled for the 25th :)
  • _Marauder_Marauder Member Posts: 132 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the feedback, Nice work!
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    201 is still testable, you just can't buy the voucher any more, they 'officialy' stop testing for it July 26 2012. Mine is scheduled for the 25th :)

This is intriguing. I don't see this documented anywhere and wasn't aware it's possible. Is this the JK0 look-alike or the actual SY0-301 exam? For example, SY0-301 is also JK0-018 so I'm wonderering if the SY0-201 exam you're taking is a JK0- version.

At any rate, good luck.
  • MrkaliMrkali Member Posts: 105
    Congratulations on your successful Sec+ pass icon_thumright.gif

Best of luck with your cisco studies!
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on your pass.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    Congrats on the pass! How long did you study for Network+ to feel more prepared than when you took the Security+? Just wondering since I just passed the Network+ and I am diving into studying for the Security+ now.
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • MichaelRMichaelR Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the insight. We are on the same path. I am studying for Sec+ now with just Darril's book. I will seek out some additional practice questions.
    Congrats on your pass!!
    They updated thier description Page. 1/2 hour before I posted about the 201 it was still up there. Just looked up and down on the site can't find it any more. :/ They used to even have a link jumping straight to the old domains.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • jjrockjjrock Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nytrocide wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass! How long did you study for Network+ to feel more prepared than when you took the Security+? Just wondering since I just passed the Network+ and I am diving into studying for the Security+ now.

i studied almost 3 months for net+. maybe a couple more weeks for sec+ n i woulda felt more confident. but of course its different for everyone. icon_smile.gif