Techexams members coming up with a certification?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I was wondering what it would take to actually get a certification off the ground with potential. I know certifications are everywhere now, but can you think of one that would add value and fill a business/IT void?

If we were to come up with an idea what would it take to get it validated or credible? Would we have to pay an organization to validate it like ANSI or ISO, or some other entity?

What would the cost be? Obviously time and money, but how much of each? Thousands of each?

I just started thinking who knows more about certifications than this forum? Some of us eat, breath, live on this forum at times. This of course includes me.

(Sorry I am having a I WANT TO BE AN ASTRONAUT moment).

Maybe just maybe there is a certification that hasn't be uncovered and that has a lot of value. Thoughts?

Comments

• NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I honestly think there are too many certifications.

I think making tools ( not braindumps) would be more beneficial. For example, the webmaster made a networking diagram tool……….at least I think he did. I know he made a networking calculator. I’m sure he made a lot of other tools as well……Anyways, I think time spent making tools used to study for certifications, and to use in the IT profession would be more of a suitable endeavor.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You make a great point. I think you are on to something.

Any ideas come to mind?
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    the certification of certifications
    Im certified in that Im certified
    certifinception
    meh
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I tend to think that the knowledge spread around here is vastly more valuable then any cert. But in regards to the topic, it is very expensive to get a cert off the ground. Especially because you have to advertise it, entice experts to get it so that it has some value. Become an astronaut, it will probably be easier and cheaper ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Techexams Certified Certification Expert (TCCE)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    LMAO

This piece of garbage actually turned out to be some what funny! Nice work!
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    blargoe wrote:
    That would be a fun (practice) exam - question 1, careful it's a tricky one icon_lol.gif

Which of the following is the correct meaning of MCSE? (Choose one)
    a. Microsoft Certified System Engineer
    b. Microsoft Certified System Expert
    c. Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert
    d. Microsoft Certified Sharepoint Engineer
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    D - final answer.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    I'm going with D as well!
    E - Minesweeper Consultant and Solitare Expert

We need some simulations too. Is there a way to simualte the appropriate reaction to missing a passing score by 1 point?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    We need some simulations too.
    Easily :)

You are an IT person working for XYZ Corp. This is your first day at the new job. You have completed an orientation, but do not have the workstation ready yet. All of a sudden, the CEO's executive assistant comes running to you, explaining that "everything went down" while the CEO was on a very important conference call to sign a multi-million deal. All technical personnel, except yourself, has been abducted by aliens minutes earlier.

The goal is to make everything working again. You have a duct tape, a screwdriver, and a network diagram that was last updated 12 years ago. You have 3 minutes to complete the task.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

Step1: Play the MacGyver theme song!
    Step2: Queue the Mission Impossible theme song!
    Step3: Post on TechExams.net
    Step4: Wait 4 minutes then ask for again on another sub-forum.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
    I'm the goat of the day, heck maybe the week! What's next, what would you do if you won a million dollars?

I’ll tell you what I’d do, man: two chicks at the same time, man. And I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; ’cause chicks dig dudes with money.
    IT guy since 12/00

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well, the type of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do. Best movie ever!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ChooseLife wrote: »
    Easily :)

You are an IT person working for XYZ Corp. This is your first day at the new job. You have completed an orientation, but do not have the workstation ready yet. All of a sudden, the CEO's executive assistant comes running to you, explaining that "everything went down" while the CEO was on a very important conference call to sign a multi-million deal. All technical personnel, except yourself, has been abducted by aliens minutes earlier.

The goal is to make everything working again. You have a duct tape, a screwdriver, and a network diagram that was last updated 12 years ago. You have 3 minutes to complete the task.

Turn the network diagram over, use pieces of duct tape to write a message saying that you'd like to be abducted too, tape the message to the screwdriver and throw it against the spaceship ...

1000/1000 ?
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I think the money isn't in certification, it's in developing material to pass the certification. Study guides, practice lab manuals, etc. Think about certifications like VCP5. Outside of the lab manuals you get from VMware, there aren't really any true practice lab manuals that have labs in them like the CCNP ones for instance. Things like that would sell like hotcakes I would think. There are plenty of certs out there without quality study materials and practice lab manuals. Sorry to digress the thread back on topic :p
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    blargoe wrote: »

medium level --> Techexams Certified Certification Professional Expert Engineer
    Pro Level --> TechExams Certified Certification Professional Expert Master Technical Approved Expert Technician Engineer (pays better than CCIE)
    meh
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ChooseLife wrote: »

Psh! In my day all we had was the chewing gum we'd stripped off the trees outside and a paperclip!

Maybe a BOFH cert. Purely practical, no computer simulations. The most important aspects of the job are what need to be tested, e.g. lights in stairwells going out, enough hazardous objects strewn around the place to make the Health and Safety people get picketed by Greenpeace for using so much paper in reporting it all; you get the idea - and if you don't, you've failed its precursor, the PFY test.
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Wow. This thread made me lol.

Who would have thought IT guys could make jokes?
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□

That's because you have "Nothing clever to say" ;)
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Working in IT Fundamentals
    Objectives:

1. Caffeine content in common beverages.
    2. Proper workstation setup for maximum comfort and usability.
    3. Proper etiquette for interoffice gaming functions.
    4. Setting up for after hours LAN party.
    5. Using big words to explain simple concepts to management.
    6. Proper proxies and VPN usage for viewing "questionable" content.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Turn the network diagram over, use pieces of duct tape to write a message saying that you'd like to be abducted too, tape the message to the screwdriver and throw it against the spaceship ...

1000/1000 ?
    Congratulations, you have passed the necessary qualification requirements and are awarded the TechExam Certified Alien Abduction Professional title!

P.S.Don't forget your AMF ;)
    MickQ wrote: »
    Psh! In my day all we had was the chewing gum we'd stripped off the trees outside and a paperclip!
    Talk of certifications that can be passed on experience alone......... :)
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • badrottiebadrottie Member Posts: 116
    I really should add the BOFH (Retired) cert to my list. It would help operations personnel put things into the proper context when I deal with them.