External connection setup for a SWITCH lab

poguepogue Member Posts: 213
For those who've connected their home SWITCH lab in such a way as to allow external connections, can you give me a quick rundown on how you accomplished this?

The hardware/software I have (or is coming) -

Cisco 2509 Terminal Server (On the way)
Cisco 3550 Switch EMI load x 2
Cisco 2950 x2
Windows 7 workstation
External cable modem/router capable of port forwarding from external to internal

I currently have a Dynamic DNS account with the update service running on my home pc, which will always allow me to resolve a connection to my external router, so I should only have to port forward any applicable ports from external connections to proper internal devices.

I had assumed that my 2509 would not be capable of running an SSH connection, as it is so old. Is that a wrong assumption? If I can do this, it seems simple enough to forward port 22 external connections to my 2509, and I have the access I need.

If this is workable, let me know. I will travelling extensively here shortly, and am going to need access to my home lab.

Thanks,

Russ
Currently working on: CCNA:Security
Up next: CCNA:Voice

Comments

• martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    i was thinking about the same issue some weeks ago. first of all my 2509 is lacking a fast ethernet port, additionally it doesn't seem to support SSH unless you get a crypto image for it.

so i skipped this idea because it might be doable but costs time and money.

currently i am just using a remote desktop connection to my home server which is connected to the 2509 with a console cable. if you already have setup a dyndns your good to go.

i also have one of the switches linked to my home network, i enabled telnet on all of them so i can at least directly connect to them directly via wlan from my bedroom.

another option is to get some kind of vpn working but i guess with the 2509 this isnt an option.
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • poguepogue Member Posts: 213
    i was thinking about the same issue some weeks ago. first of all my 2509 is lacking a fast ethernet port, additionally it doesn't seem to support SSH unless you get a crypto image for it.

You need an AUI ethernet transciever for the 25 pin AUI port on the back. It is a regular ethernet port, configurable from the IOS command line, just looks different. Your home switch should be able to step down to 10Meg for the one port that will connect to the 2509.. About $6.00 + shipping from China if you're willing to wait.
    currently i am just using a remote desktop connection to my home server which is connected to the 2509 with a console cable..

That's why I mentioned I have a Windows 7 workstation. It is the Home version, not Professional. In all its wisdom, Microsoft figured it was not making enough money off the corporate clients, so they disabled RDP in Windows 7 Home to prevent corporate IT from buying cheaper OSes for their users.

They actually TOOK OUT a capability that has been part of the OS for multiple generations, to squeeze out just a few more bucks, screwing home users in the process.

Remind me why I hate Microsoft with a passion, again?

Russ
    Currently working on: CCNA:Security
    Up next: CCNA:Voice
  • waragiwaragi Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The aui transceiver connected to your home router and then you can telnet directly to each device connected to your 2509 using a differant port number.
    Easier you can't get it.