Would you guys recommend getting the CCNA over the Microsoft Certs??

DeemeetriDeemeetri Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys I'm studying for the 70-680 right meow but reading a lot of the forums over here makes me believe that it's a lot better to get the CCNA even though I'm interested in a Server based role... thoughts??

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It sounds strange to me that someone interested in a role working on Microsoft servers would aim for a CCNA before a Microsoft certification. The server guys I know focused on MS at first.

Caveat: I'm not a server guy.
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    If you want to work with server side technologies and skill sets, the CCNA is somewhat of a waste of time. It's definitely not going to be any easier than of the MS certs, and will be a lot harder to learn and lab if you're self studying with no background experience.

Full disclosure - I do server side stuff exclusively at this point, and hold a CCNA. At the time I picked mine up, I was working in a role where I was doing a lot of both network infrastructure stuff as well as being a server monkey. I went ahead and took the exam after I switched jobs to one in which I'm solely a systems admin (and don't touch routers or switches due to separation of duties) only because I had so much time invested in studying for it. I highly doubt I'll renew my CCNA when it expires, because it's not relevant to what I'm doing these days, and I doubt I'll ever go back to the networking side of things at this point.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    microsoft and cisco are completely differant beasts even if they are both "networking"

one is servers/users/workstations other is dataflow/infrastructural
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • DeemeetriDeemeetri Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh nah I get that lol I'm currently working in a call center Tier 2 tech support so I'd be starting out new either ways.. I'm just very frustrated and confused about what to go towards, I'm very eager to learn but I don't know much about the market... it seems everyone is looking for the CCNA... there's a forum on here that asks which cert basically brought you the most success and I'd say 90% of the answers are lliterally CCNA... this is why I thought I'd ask because like I said I'm starting from scratch... another thing is if I go towards CCNA I only have two classes left in my college which are cisco classes which will allow me to get my associates in Network administration so I figure if I go towards Cisco I can get my CCNA, find a job that pays ok so I can learn as much as I can hands on, and at the same time I'll get my degree which will allow me to start on my BA degree... does that make sense? do you guys think I'm looking at this logically?
  • bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    I'd go where your interests lie... For myself, I had encountered enough frustration with Microsoft and their products working on a help desk that I decided to go the CISCO/Brocade/Juniper route (no pun intended). CCNA should be enough to get you in the door for most junior network engineer positions, provided you have some hands on experience with the equipment, perhaps in a home lab environment. I've encountered a lot of CCNA certified individuals who didn't know how to terminate or run an ethernet cable. Good luck on whichever way you go.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agree with Bry

Both are challenging, I would go with ever one that interest you the most. Certifications become much easier when you actually find what you are learning to be interesting.
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Cisco Networking is not equal to Microsoft Networking... totally different beasts. Microsoft Network Admins rarely work with Cisco hardware (at least the ones I know) and strict Cisco guys rarely go into the server side. It's best to know a bit of both to be well rounded if you're in a small shop. I work for an ISP so strong knowledge of application and presentation layer stuff isn't really required. Stick with what you're interested in and are passionate with. You tend to grow faster that way.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Even though I deal with MS products every day, I recently learned I wanted to re-kindle what I had learned in Cisco (back in college) but I figure I would start off with CCENT and see where it takes me...even though I hardly touch Cisco in my professional experience. The reason I want to get at least CCENT is for pretty much for my personal knowledge for starters.

To answer your question I've heard success stories for people that concentrated from MS alone and Cisco alone, as long as you are passionate about it you really can't lose which direction you go in
  • HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    Yes, I would say CCNA is harder than MS certs
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cisco Networking is not equal to Microsoft Networking... totally different beasts. Microsoft Network Admins rarely work with Cisco hardware (at least the ones I know) and strict Cisco guys rarely go into the server side. It's best to know a bit of both to be well rounded if you're in a small shop. I work for an ISP so strong knowledge of application and presentation layer stuff isn't really required. Stick with what you're interested in and are passionate with. You tend to grow faster that way.

If you work for a small business with just a few "IT" employees it is likely that you will need to know both Cisco and MS technologies. It's exceptionally common for companies with less than 200 total employees to see this. I've said this before: it is far more beneficial for a sever admin to have CCNA level knowledge than it is for a pure Network Admin to have MCSE level knowledge. I would certainly say go get the CCNA and then the MS certs as you will get a strong foundation in general networking that will help you in studying for the network infrastructure exams from MS. The reverse is not so true.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Get certified in what you do currently if it will help you keep/find work if needed. Only pursue the entry level cert in what you "want to do someday". Don't go chasing certs thinking it will help you.
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    HLRS wrote: »
    Yes, I would say CCNA is harder than MS certs

Really? In what way? I have both and I'd say that it's apples and oranges, each can have challanges.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management