$74 PC on a Stick

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
Similar to RasberryPI there is a new Android based PC that runs on a USB thumbdrive sized system.

It has 802.11 G and mini-HDMI out. It's being marketed as an Internet TV system.

$74 PC on a stick features Allwinner A10 CPU, Android 4.0 - Liliputing

Comments

• demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    if it wouls be able to do most all apps and have google play id be all over it for my kids
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would imagine that it has access to Play.
    i think ill order one for fathers day if i can get lucky
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Hmmm... Currently I have an old desktop attached to my 60" TV and this might actually be a good substitution. If it runs ICS, I can use it to download torrents, run Netflix, and stream flash videos. I might wait until the Cotton Candy is out and wait for reviews on it since that one has a miniSD slot (64GB expandable)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

I would have to check reviews like you said to see if those will run properly with the CPU it has.
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Now, it's VIA's turn to launch its Android PC for $49: VIA launches $49 Android PC
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
    very nice

i see making your own settop boxes in the near future ... most streaming services have apps for droid
    So I ended up buying two of these $74 PCs and I have to say that I'm immensely satisfied. I'll get around to uploading a video of it later. Here are some pictures of me using one on my TV: Pictures by iristheangel - Photobucket
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oh I'm so anxious. Go make that video!
    That looks pretty cool. I want a James Bond theme to play anytime I hook it up though, or maybe Mission Impossible.
  • PetrinodaPetrinoda Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The price on this is amazing. It probably will go down quickly though by the holidays.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm waiting for my Raspberry Pi to be delivered - I was told August icon_sad.gif
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    YFZblu wrote: »
    I'm waiting for my Raspberry Pi to be delivered - I was told August icon_sad.gif

Yer in the same boat, was promised it would be in the post 2 weeks ago at the latest (after a few emails back and forth). However Considering that they expected to see a few thousand and not several million, and the idea behind the project I happy to wait :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got my Raspberry Pi yesterday, everything went well on the first attempt at booting it up, no power or SD card issues. I still have to get used to using Debian (I hate that it doesn't have "service iptables save" and "service iptables stop", like on CentOS.)
    Mine arived today :) now got to decided what to do with it.

I want to get it booting from the network, I know it does not have network boot so will have to be a minimual OS on the SD that hands over to the network storage. So I can have mutiply different set ups just requiring a reboot to switch between.

I would quite like to look in to connecting it to some thing that moves for some automate fun. I am thinking I want to write some code that can track a moving target at a known distance and fire a "virtual bullet" to intercept it. and seeing if I could get some thing working in the real world.

My Daughter also has a star field generator (as a night light), and made me think if the Pi can control a laser diode and and two mirrors, could it project real night skys on to her cealing :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That would be something you might try with Arduino controls... Could be cool.
    I ordered a Raspberry Pi the other week as well. It's not supposed to arrive for "8-9 weeks" according to the website. I'm not sure what I'll use it for yet but I'd sure love to know what you guys end up doing with yours. It'll be fun to play around with these things.

As far as the MK802, sorry I haven't made a video yet. My schedule has been crazy so no time. I attached one to my TV so I can watch netflix on it and use the server I had previously attached for something else. I have another MK802 that I'm trying to turn into a thin client. I've been looking for a thin client OS that works with the architecture. Even if I have to have it boot off a $5 miniSD card, I'm thinking I could probably pop a sticker on it and resell it to clients for $100. For small business customers, it'd beat having to pay $200-300 for a WYSE TC. If anyone knows of any TC OSes out there that work on A10 or ARM processors, point me in the right direction.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Buy a bunch and cluster them. icon_cheers.gif
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Does it do remote desktop? I could use these at a few of my clients satellite offices..
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Buy a bunch and cluster them. icon_cheers.gif

Been lots of talk about this but sadly they would be no go for it, there IO is no good for distributed processing. The advantages you get from a cluster are far out weighed by the bottle necks.

The CPU is actuly quite slow so you would need 20 or so to match a standard home/office PC.
    rsutton wrote: »
    Does it do remote desktop? I could use these at a few of my clients satellite offices..

Kind of :)Raspberry Pi • View topic - Remote Desktop (RDP) Working Well!
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow this is truly impressive! Thanks for the pics Iris!

I am trying to figure out what i would need one of these things for, only because i need an excuse to buy one lol
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX