Question in regards to FXO/FXS on a 2811 router

wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
I seem to have hit a brick wall here. I've got the CME lab up and running and one phone working with dial tone etc...hope to get the other one going tonight.

My problem is I want to get some analog going as well. I checked the Cisco site and found some very confusing and conflicting information, hope someone here can help me.

I have a 2811 router and want to install the FXS and FXO VICs. I'm looking at a Cisco NM-2V + VIC-2FXS VIC-2FXO or something similar on ebay.

The Cisco page I went to says that I need the NM-1V or 2V to use the VIC-FXO/FXS cards as they can't be directly installed on a 2811. Yet on another Cisco web page it says "The Cisco 2811, 2821, 2851, 3825, and 3845 voice routers do not support the NM-1V and NM-2V voice/fax network modules." icon_scratch.gif

Help please!!

Comments

• azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, the older NM-1V/2V's were meant for the 26/36/3700 series routers.

You'd need to look at the NM-HD-V series, or install VIC/VIC2's (being careful of the type) in the normal WIC slots and install PVDM's on the router systemboard.

This link should help.

Voice Hardware Compatibility Matrix (Cisco 17/26/28/36/37/38xx, VG200, Catalyst 4500/4000, Catalyst 6xxx) - Cisco Systems

Ah....the joy of Cisco Voice!icon_lol.gif
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    So I should be looking for:

NM-HD-2V
    VIC2-2FXO
    VIC2-2FXS

That would work on a 2811?

Wow, that's going to be pricey! Still haven't got a PC to run CUCM yet...icon_sad.gif

Oh well, getting there slowly.
    That would work. If only there was a way to make Cisco Voice cheaper to lab.

If you are not using all 4 HWIC slots, you can put the VIC2's there and drop the NM-HD-2V entirely.

My 2811:
    HWIC0: WIC-2T
    HWIC1: VWIC-1MFT-E1
    HWIC2: VIC2-4FXO
    HWIC3: VIC-4FXS/DID
    NM Slot: NM-CUE

But it might come as a $ trade-off (whichever is cheaper) with the VIC/NM option vs VIC2/HWIC+PVDM option, and if you need the NM slot for something else as well. And unfortunately VIC2's don't usually come cheap.
    I've been checking out ebay for VICs and NM-HD-2V, they're actually not that expensive. The problem is the shipping costs to NZ, WOW!!! The shipping cost is as much, sometimes more, than the hardware!

Guess I better start saving. icon_lol.gif
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Unless its worth it, i will never pay for anything on eBay where the shipping costs actually eclipses the product. I just ignore those sellers
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
    Unfortunately, NZ is pretty much at the bottom of the world and miles away from anywhere, so shipping cost are quite a bit.

The really crazy thing is that some items cost $20 to ship from the US, but $200 to ship from Aussie! icon_scratch.gif We're MUCH closer to Aussie than the US...go figure...icon_lol.gif
    I've noticed that online as well, plus international delivery times are sometimes faster than domestic times.icon_scratch.gif

I'm sure some international sellers just have no idea of what "reasonable shipping cost" is, unless they are including a 1st class round-trip ticket for themselves as well.

If you see anything in the land of Oz, send me a PM, I'd be happy to trans-ship for you.
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Currently here's what i have in my lab for CCNA Voice and CCNP Voice

2 2811
    1 1841
    2 Wic-1T
    3 7961 IP Phones
    1 VIC2-4FXO
    1 VIC- 4FXS/DID
    1 3550 24 (sadly) not a POE
    1 VWIC-1MFT-E1
    2 Analogue Phones
    A Dell PowerEdge 1950 with 8GB memory to run VMs

I think i need 2 DSPs (PVDM2-16) for my 2811s and perhaps another VWIC-1MFT-E1 and i will be all set.

A 3560 would be nice to have though you probably have to get lucky on eBay as they are quite expensive
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
    I also have a 2620XM and it looks like it might be a cheaper option to use this. If I am not mistaken I can use the following on this router?

NM-2V
    VIC-2FXS
    VIC-2FXO

Looks a lot cheaper than puting NM-HD-2V, VIC2-2FXS and VIC2-2FXO into my 2811.

Will this work?

I was thinking about using the 2811 for a purely VoIP environment, and the 2620xm for Voip and analogue phones (probably one of each). I already have the 2811 set up with CME and have 3 phones and CIPC set up and working. Just want to practise setting up an old analogue phone and maybe hooking it up to the PSTN.
    Yeah, the first generation voice kit is a lot cheaper, but getting harder to find.

NM-2V
    VIC-2FXS
    VIC-2FXO

Will work fine in the 2600XM series.