Bootcamps

I realize there have been a lot of negative comments on these boards regarding the value of bootcamps.

I'm in a position of having done some personal training for the CCNP BSCI as well as having some general knowledge of the MCSE track as well as some training for MCSA, and the 270 already passed - so I am by no means a newbie. I have my CCNA and about 8 yrs experience in IT.

Anyway, I am considering an MCSE and CCNP bootcamp for this year and I am wondering which camps others have had the best experiences with. Again, I am not asking for why bootcamps can be a bad thing for some people in some situations and that they cost a lot of money. I'd simply like to know who some of the very best bootcamps are, and I'd like to hear especially from those that have found them worthwhile.

Thanks!

Comments

• jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Bootcamps are typical memorization courses aka tk university. If you have 8 yrs experience take your time and do one exam at a time instead if cramming q&a's.

IMHO dont do it - another paper mcse/cisco will be added to their list, you wont learn crap.
    What next?
  • qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    Bootcamps _aren't_ bad depending what you're using it for.

ie. CCIE/CCNP.

But on top of that, you should of already studied. If you're going into bootcamp expecting some hands on experience, and answers you got from studying a book. At that point, it would be a good idea.

In my opinion anyways.
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    Are Bootcamps worth the money? I'm thinking of going to one in the UK, if I can find one! I wish to complete my MCSE
    If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!
  • SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    I worked at one of the largest in the country (and I believe UK and Germany) for about 2 years and one of the reasons I left (besides pay) was that I no longer believed in the business. They pump all these students out who don't know the basic stuff that there certs. say they should know, with no regard for the industry as a whole. A MAJORITY of bootcamp material is taken FROM xxxxx/braindumps/xxxx and I know this for a fact, how else do you expect to get your MCSE in 2 weeks without going over material that is not really covered on the exam.

Bootcamps are only worth the money if you need the certification and are not concerned with learning the material in the least bit, b/c I promise you will not be able to learn MCSE material in 2 weeks no matter how hard you study.

I'm not bashing any particular company just voicing my opinion on bootcamps ane especially how they negatively effect an already over saturated industry.
  • TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    Thanks for the feedback. It's given me some insight. Glad I did'nt jump in with both feet, cheers :D
    If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!
  • sebastian65654sebastian65654 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well not every bootcamp is the same, if you find a reputable school which will be very $$$$ then you should be ok in term of instructors and quality of teaching, but you have to remember that there is a limit how much you can learn from books and labs in class, even if you study on your own you still can not 100% cover everything.

If you have the money do it at reputable school. I had friends who had done bootcamps, some were happy and some were not happy. It all depends on student and instructor, and how much work you are willing to put in. The best way to find good school is search the vender (Cisco, Microsoft) website for authorized training centers.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Although every bootcamp is an instructor led course, not every classroom course is a bootcamp. The courses that deliver the Microsoft Official Curriculum or official Cisco courses are usually not bootcamps. The main difference is that they don't claim you'll be able to pass the exam(s) after a week or two, and don't hand out ****.
    but you have to remember that there is a limit how much you can learn from books and labs in class
    Well, that is the problem, bootcamps don't recognize that limit and claim to produce capable MCSEs for example.

Surely there are some good bootcamps out there, but in general I'd not advice anyone to go unless you already have a bunch of experience and need to be drilled for the exam (without using **** of course).
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i think bootcamps are good for the person that has the technical savvy but lacks the book for test taking.. but going with no knowledge at all hoping to come out as an expert is nuts
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    I know a lot of the more reputable "bootcamps" expect you to have most of the knowledge before you go, especially as Johan said the MS certified partners and ones offering offical curriculams. One of the main ones in the UK (I wont mention the name) makes you do a pre test for their MCSE after that they send you the study materials before you go and the two weeks and spend consolodating and getting more hands on experience from proffesionals.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    wildfire wrote:
    I know a lot of the more reputable "bootcamps" expect you to have most of the knowledge before you go, especially as Johan said the MS certified partners and ones offering offical curriculams. One of the main ones in the UK (I wont mention the name) makes you do a pre test for their MCSE after that they send you the study materials before you go and the two weeks and spend consolodating and getting more hands on experience from proffesionals.

well the one i worked for is very reputable, ranked 2nd or 3rd behind Global Knowledge (there biggest competitor) a couple year back in a MS Certification (now Redmond mag) magazine. They're a MS certified training center and "use" MOC (microsoft official curriculum) but only as a way to maintain there certified training status. There website says you should have "X" amount of years for "Y" certification but the sales reps push something way different. It's sad when you see a person who just spent $8,000.00 on a MCSE class who just finished a non-IT related 4 year major and never touched a PC outside of using word and the sales reps pushed her for the MCSE when she originally called for the MCDST. but like others said, I agree, a bootcamp is good if you're a "MCSE level network admin w/ out your MCSE". Unfortunately a large majority advertise it as such but when you call they push for you to upgrade your course claiming you can do it, and although they have "mentor" support throughout the process and after it just isn't the same as you can't cram enough time into 14 days (336 hours) to duplicate the experience to learn the MCSE material.

It just really got on my nerves that the market is saturated with IT pros as it is and they were pumping out MCSEs/CCNPs/etc at astonishing rates (you'll be amazed how much a teacher will "help" a student to pass when there pass rates determine the fat bonus they get).