what is the impact of MCITP EA to a computer scientist?

johnstegjohnsteg Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
well;it is kind of wired knowing that in UK,US and other eu countries that MCITP is a hot cake as opposed to third world countries.my question is this,i currently hold second class upper degree in computer science coupled with a diploma in web design,ya did HTML,CSS,and javascript and now MCTS network infrastructure configuring,and will obtain MCTS windows 7 configuration in less than a forthnight.what is the overall impact of this certification to me....

Comments

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It depends on what kind of jobs you're looking at. To a programmer or web designer, MCITP:EA doesn't really do much, if anything. To someone looking to work in infrastructure with a focus on Windows, it's a big deal.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • johnstegjohnsteg Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well i am looking at network administrator guess that is what MCITP supposed to make me,
    i have an unquestionable understanding of networking though not CCNA,or even Network+..but i know they would be a joke if i set my mind on them
    i am currently freelancing as a Vsat engineer...
  • halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
    can you define computer scientist for me ?
    a person who applies of both theory,analytical concept and results from experiment towards solving computer(here it is all encompassing) related problems.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think most computer scientists would take issue with that definition. Infrastructure support and engineering are really not fields of computer science. That's not to say computer science grads shouldn't work in infrastructure, because they can and should if they want to.

I would say accounting is math as infrastructure is to computer science, if that helps.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm really not feeling that analogy. Computer Science is most certainly more theory than practical, but CS applies that theory to turn theory into something practical (such as the hardware/software built by computer scientists.)

Computer Scientists are those who build your routers, design the software components of hardware [along with the electrical engineers who build/design the hardware], and create the O/Ses and applications that we as IT professionals support in our various roles in the infrastructure.

I am with you that computer scientists should support infrastructure (if they wish), and I write this being well aware of your signature. ;) My only premise is that one does not need to be a computer scientist (or have any degree/cert at all) to support an infrastructure at any capacity.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    In my opinion, the one certification that sticks out of microsoft's as a comp-sci cert would be MCTS SQL Server. I say this because it requires significant knowledge of two different computer languages (SQL and XML). But as several have already pointed out...your definition of comp-sci is broader than most.
    your opinions are really great,but from my grad school i was taught that the curse is wide as i have stated,with system analysis,networking,DB,software dev,AI...i was taught little of everything.guess i would have to switch to DB after enterprise admin
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a CS degree and an MCITP EA. The degree is like a pilots licence, but it doesn't mean you know how to drive a car (MCITP).

The degree will (should) give you an understanding of the principles in computing (logic, coding, analysis, etc.), but that doesn't mean you know how to put together and administer a server. That's where the MCITP comes in. Different qualification entirely.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I think you need to leave out the "comp scientist" part

and just ask yourself what do I need to reach this role?
    For example, Network Administrator?
    Which will have many answers, do I need to know Linux/Unix? Cisco? Juniper? Vendorless? Firewall knowledge? Windows based?

And go from there.
    meh
    you guys are great here in this forum, well it obvious that there are still lots of work for me to do here, in terms of certification paths.I love Server stuff and obviously this is a windows world, yea CS kind of put you on a pedestal without given one specific direction.I think the confusion here is the fact, that i can absolutely fit in all this positions(ie have all the technical background to fit in to ),Server admin,Network admin,Programming is something that brings out the mathematical aspect of me.Well after MCITP EA the next step will be thought about meticulously.